1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable Modem Resets Constantly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Plasmaclaw, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Plasmaclaw

Plasmaclaw Thread Starter

I have the Comcast Arris TM402P and since yesterday night it has been constantly resetting itself. I know its not my computer because I have 2 ethernet ports and the same problem occurs on both of them. I have tried to reset it manually and I have powered it off by unplugging it however after all that the problem still occurs. If anyone has a fix I would be most appreciative.

2. oksteve

oksteve

Have you contacted your cable supplier ?
    When I have had modem problems they reset it remotely to fix it.

Maybe they are doing this to you without knowing it.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Try accessing the modem status pages at 192.168.100.1. On my Arris TM602G I can see RX & TX power and system up time, and Event Logs. That should help determine if you have no RX signal, or DHCP is failing, it is rebooting, etc.

4. Plasmaclaw

Hey thanks for the info, so I was looking at the event log and there it reports several different things such as "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out" and "Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out". I would love to call Comcast and have this resolved but my account has recently become past due so I can't have it resolved by one of their technicians.

5. Frank4d

What does it show for downstream power, signal to noise, and upstream power? (Example: -7 dBmV, 38 dB, and 42 dBmV)

6. Plasmaclaw

This is what it shows
    Downstream Freq/Power: 729.000 MHz 11 dBmV Signal to Noise Ratio: 37 dB Modulation:QAM256 Upstream Freq/Power:29.400 MHz 37 dBmV Channel Type: Mixed (TDMA and ATDMA) Symbol Rate: 2560 kSym/sec Modulation: QAM64

7. Frank4d

Those numbers look ok, but the timeout messages indicate a problem between your modem and Comcast. I would give them a call unless your account is way past due (like two months).

8. oksteve

oksteve

I think they are trying to tell you something :(

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice