1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable Modem sharing Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AdrianB, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AdrianB

AdrianB Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have a cable tv box with the network cable going directly into the front of PC 1.

I want PC 2 to also share the same internet connection. PC 1 is Windows ME and PC2 is Windows 2000 pro.

I've tried connecting a cross over cable between the two PC's NIC so PC 2 can get online but the two just don't seem to communicate???

I dont really want to buy extra hardware but will if I have too.

If I have to buy extra hardware I've seen cheap 5-port Switch is this the same as a router, and if I have to buy a switch will configuration be difficult once its connected?

Thanks in advance.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Look at my sig. Buy a router.

Does your cable modem have an Ethernet Port or is it USB only. If it USB only you wont be able to use a router. I would call up your ISP and ask them for one with an ethernet port. Otherwise you will have to use ICS or a Proxy server.

3. BillC

BillC

I like the idea of a router for the added security of the firewall, flexibility, and ease of use. It has been my experience that they are easy to install. You might look at ebay; it seems to me I paid about $60 for a NetGear wired/wireless router.

Anyway, that's my view.

Edit: Look above for a truely GREAT deal.

4. AdrianB

AdrianB Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply!

Sorry its not actually a cable modem, its a cable tv box with an Ethernet port on the back.

I think it might be so much easier just to get the router, but unfortunately living here in England that same router in your sig costs about the equivalent of $75.

Is it ok to buy a switch or does it have to be a router?

Thanks

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

has to be a router. I have few online buddies that live in England. I will see if they have one they want to get rid of.

6. AdrianB

AdrianB Thread Starter

Sounds like its going to be a router then! Do I use a straight cable from the cable box to the router and from the router to the cable box?

Also will there be a lot of configuration once they are connected?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Wire from your cable box/modem to the WAN port of the router. From the LAN ports of the router, wire to the NIC of the each computer.

The computers should be setup already for automatic IP and DNS addresses if this is a typical cable broadband setup.

8. AdrianB

AdrianB Thread Starter

Doesnt sound too bad, thanks for the help all.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice