1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable modem to DLink Router can't find IP address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JAQCOL7, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAQCOL7

JAQCOL7 Thread Starter

Hi all -
    we were happily getting along with our RCN cable Motorola modem and DLink wireless 655 until the last couple of weeks. The internet would intermittently not be available, without warning. First couple of times we power cycled the modem and router, and it worked, but then stopped being available altogether. I got some support from RCN, the cable provider (they own the modem and it's old, so naturally that was my first thought). I now have a new modem and the situation is exactly the same.
    The error message that I get is that the IP address for the network cannot be found.

I got internet access by bypassing the router, connecting the modem directly to my (Windows XP) PC, releasing and renewing the IP address, and power cycling the modem. However, the internet still intermittently shuts down, and of course turning off the computer necessitates the whole procedure again. And now we have no wireless.

SOooo - should we assume it's the router, and a new one would solve our problem? Of do we just need to reset the IP address of the router? Or has anyone heard of this and maybe has some light to shed...???
    Many thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Power cycling the modem is necessary when switching the device connected to it; after that there should be no need to power cycle it until the next switch.

Implies ISP, modem, cable or computer problem. If you have another Motorola modem you have LEDs that give a pretty good idea of what might be happening. And most modems have some LEDs. What are they telling you on the "shut downs"?

Shouldn't have to do anything but power up the computer. Can you try another computer? If the modem has a USB port can you try a USB connection?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/994689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice