1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable Modem to Vonage to Wireless Router issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FESTO KGB, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FESTO KGB

FESTO KGB Thread Starter

A client has the following hookup :
    Belkin Cable Modem "BEFCMU10
    Motorola/Vonage Router "VT2142-VD
    Netgear wireless ROuter "WGT624"

Before adding the Vonage client was able to share files and printer between desktop and laptop. Printer is wired to desktop via USB cable. Laptop also had internet connection.

Since adding Vonage, laptop can no longer print or see files on desktop. Desktop no longer sees laptop. Computer and Workgroup names are unchanged. Laptop still has internet connection.

ipconfig on laptop reveals default gateway as 192.168.15.X
    ipconfig on desktop shows default gateway as 192.168.16.X

Desktop gateway is the Vonage, Laptop is the Netgear.

I am sure there is a way to get them both communicating again without affecting the Vonage service but I am not sure.

Any ideas?

2. Rockn

Rockn

You have to disable DHCP on the second router and give it's WAN port a static address from the primary router. Johnwill has a small tutorial on here somewhere regarding using multiple routers on the same LAN. PM him and I am sure he can point you in the right direction.

3. FESTO KGB

FESTO KGB Thread Starter

would this be the tutorial you are talking about:

if so, thanks for the reply. I kind of thought this might work but I didn't want to do anything that might disrupt my clients Vonage service.

Unless anyone see's anything wrong with following the above procedures then I am going to go with that. I won't see the client for a few days so I will wait a day or so before I mark this as solved.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/559108