1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable modem/Wireless router not working in one room

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Stealthz, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

I have my cable modem and wireless router downstairs. I tried to move it upstairs, to my room. When I hook it up there, it doesn't work. When I run the troubleshooter, it says "DNS server not responding." I hooked it up back downstairs, and it works again. Is there a fix to this to make it work when hooked up upstairs?

Also, my thought behind this is that since all computers are upstairs, the internet would work better/faster if the wireless router was upstairs. Is this true?

Thank you

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Is the cable modem and wireless router 2 separate units, or is it a single combination unit?
    A detailed description of that equipment would be helpful to the networking experts here.

If the main cable that runs into your home has its connection outlet downstairs, how did you connect that equipment upstairs?
    Have you requested help from your Internet Service Provider(ISP)?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    To add to Frank's note about getting help from ISP. If the modem is not showing the Active/Online light on and one of the Upstream/Downstream (US/DS) lights are flashing, then that means either the jack is not active, or the cabling is not good/not getting enough signal. This would be something the ISP will have to fix.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice