1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable Modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cage72, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cage72

Cage72 Thread Starter

I was wondering when using a cable modem router..how many computers an you hookup before you start seeing data/bandwidth loss...This would be for a home networking situation. Or how about how many times could i branch off from one of those cable amplifier/splitters before i would loose noticeable bandwidth/data loss? Any Info would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Your cable modem should be attached on the first 2-1 splitter before any other distribution amps or splitters. If you run it through an amp, it won't work, it's a bi-directional device.

As far as seeing bandwidth loss with more computers, that doesn't compute. It depends on what the systems are doing on the Internet. I have from four to eight or nine computers active on my network at any given time, and unless more than one of them are pounding in the Internet, I don't see any effect, nor would I expect to.

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Johnwill is correct on all points.

To go further, provided you have a router and several hubs, you can connect 254 computers to the cable connection. As for slowing down, your bandwith will be shared only if someone is downloading at the same time you are.

Example: Let's say someone else on your network is downloading a large (or small) file at the same time you are. Your bandwidth will be split 50-50 with that other computer; however, if they are just browsing, and you are too, the chances you both will click on a link to change pages at the same instant is slim. In that case (just browsing) you will not see any slow-down unless you do click on a link to change pages at the same time, which won't happen very often.

Now, let's say you do have over 200 computers on your home network and someone browsing the web on all of them. Ah then, the likelihood several others will be downloading pages at the same time is very high. At that point, your bandwith will probably divided many times and the speed will suffer greatly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice