1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable Modem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by horrorofdeb, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. horrorofdeb

horrorofdeb Thread Starter

I'm thinking about getting cable put on my computer. I called cable company,and they said I need to buy a cable modem. I don't know what to get,can anyone help ? And also do I need to buy a installion kit too? My cable company is Charter.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Tell them to piss off. When I got my Road Runner service, they gave me everything I needed to install and even offered to do it for free plus I got three months at half off. That is pretty lame if they do not offer a cable modem. See if there are any DSL providers in the area that will give you a better deal. Maybe you can do some wheeling and dealing.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When they're the only game in town, they can be independent. I know I'd gladly pay $30-40 for a cable modem to get away from dial-up speeds, I'll never go back without a fight! :D

4. Piringa

Piringa

Well look into it alitle cuz I got my dsl modem for free 3 months off and my speeds are now 1.3gbps and I don't pay 50 bucks a month anymore its 35 teehee.

5. wausau99

wausau99

I just got Cable Internet through Charter Communications about a month ago. When I signed up, they were running a promotion that included free Cable Modem Lease and a Free Installation kit. So, you may want to check again with Charter because I know they have the Cable Modems. Also, check with Best Buy, they usually have Cable Modems with rebates with new sign up with a qualified provider.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat11500050009&type=category

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Even if you're forced to buy a cable modem, Charter should get you up and running, once everything is connected and the necessary tests are done by the technician.

Once you go to cable, you'll never go back to 56K dial-up, especially if you spend a lot of time on the internet and do a lot of downloading. I'm on Roadrunner, and it runs up to 250 times faster than 56K dial-up.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips
    (Also a XP user)

7. marcus77

marcus77

Before you think of going cable over DSL or dial-up, remember these facts:

1)If you are connecting withing a local area, such as an apartment building, your connection becomes a local network, where as you can see other computers within that area, and they can see you. This will also slow down the speed of your connection because all of you in that area are useing the same "pipeline" to connect to the internet.

2) If you are planning to upload a lot, cable modems upload about 1/3 or less slower than they download (for example - if your speed is 38 Mbps for downloading, then your upload would be about 12 Mbps).

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

marcus77, I'm not sure what your point is about cable modem. The computers on the same subnet as I am are no more visible to me than any other machine on the Internet.

As far as uploading, most DSL accounts have a much slower upload speed as well...

9. Emtronics

Emtronics

Cable is the best way to go. And marcus77, What? I have 25 people in my neighborhood on cable, how can I see their computers?

Also, I don't know where your figures come from but on Insight, I can upload 128 kps (Capped by Insight) and downloads are only limited by the server. You can pay a little more and get much higher uploads.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171577

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice