1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable Modem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by JIMMEEZ, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JIMMEEZ

JIMMEEZ Thread Starter

i have a compaq running xp home.
    1.6 gig pent.4.
    512 mb ddr.
    i just got adelphia powerlink a couple weeks ago and the support person told me that the speed relates to how much ram my computer has. is this true and if so then if i upgraded to 1024 mb ram (which my computer is able to handle) then would my cable connection be faster? any advice would be much appreciated, thanks:)

2. buckaroo

buckaroo

3. JIMMEEZ

JIMMEEZ Thread Starter

your the best.
    much thanks!

4. buckaroo

buckaroo

You're welcome! (y)

5. hewee

hewee

Do you use the TCP optimizer Buck?

I just got it and get a ( Fail to set data for 'tcp13230pts' ) when I try to appy the settings

6. buckaroo

buckaroo

Hi hewee.

Yes I do. When I went to cable last year a little bird recommended it. ;) Had no problems when I used it.

Speedguide offers a forum where you may be able to get some help with that:

http://forums.speedguide.net/

:)

7. hewee

hewee

Thanks Buck.

I did the speed test there and only get 789.2 kilobits per second for cable. :(

Anyhow I went ahead and applied the setting and exit and rebooted and ran the test again and get the same speed.

Other speed test at other sites give me a higher speed but each site has it's own speed.

8. buckaroo

buckaroo

I occasionally check my speed and it's all over the place. Sometimes I checked it just minutes apart and got very different measurements. I understand with cable that how many other users are on the same "node" impact your speed. That's not an issue with DSL, although your maximum speed is less with DSL.

9. hewee

hewee

Yes but at C-Net you can even get mixed speeds.

http://webservices.cnet.com/Bandwidth/

Do a test there but where ot says "Choose your current connection type:" don't check any thing.

Not checking anything I get 1457 Kbps
    Checking dail-up is the same.
    But check the cable it says 2649 Kbps

So like you said no two test are the same. Only C0net goes that high if I say I have cable but if I don't say I have cable then the lower speed is about what I get at most other sites.
    So the 789.2 kilobits per second from speed guide is less then all others. But I think it seems to be the speed I get most of the time.

Cable speed is 1.5 MB now but will go up to 3 MB at the end of the year.

10. hewee

hewee

OK other speed test.

http://www.toast.net/performance/
    Running the Image (414K photo) test.

TOAST.net 850 K

Polar Comm. 863 K

CableONE 1158 K

Cable Bahamas 585 K

11. buckaroo

buckaroo

Cool hewee, I'll check them out. I'm sure your cable is like mine where they only promise download speeds of "up to 1.5 MB". One time I measured over that, and I've had measurements as low as you too. I'll check those other sites out.

12. hewee

hewee

Was at one site and the speed was low but they had a note that it would show a slower speed for DSL and cable then you really have.
    But you did not get to pick your connect type.

I have done downloads from some sites of add-ons for Bryce and click on them to download and see the download box blink so I sad opps I hit cancel and not ok so went to download the file to find out I already downloaded it. Was checking speed of all downloads from the site and they were around 3 MB and over without any slow downs. Wish the whole internet was like that all the time. I can look at MyVitalAgent I have to see that the download had now breaks or slow downs. Where at some sites you can get up to say 800 k on your download but it has breaks and slow download so the average download speed will be a lot less. Really the average download speed is what effects us 99% of the time. Just like here at this site where you may have to wait for the icons or ads to show up before the page will finish loading.

13. hewee

hewee

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice