1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable or DSL. Which Wins?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PCMan78, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

Simple answer. Which one out performs the other in speed. Kinda curious. Thanks!

2. MCP

MCP

DSL is much better. you get a dedicated line and gauranteed bandwidth, and you don't have the security issues that come with sharing a cable line with the rest of the people in your area.

3. suesman

suesman

Cable bar none. I had DSL for one month & got the cable back right away. Could be just my experience, but I was not in the least impressed. I guess if you're going from Dial-up to DSL then yea it probably that good, but once you've had a good fast cable line you won't want nothing else. :D

JMO

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Test shown that Cable has a better speed than DSL, though I guess it depends on the company that is providing the service. Theorectally cable is better (and cheaper too in some states)

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, it's probably going to depend on the service in your area. Frequently, DSL's top speed will be slower than cable, but in a busy area, cable may suffer from bandwidth limitations during peak times.

The idea that cable is less secure than DSL is pure bunk! Your major security issue comes anytime you connect to the Internet, whatever the method.

I have cable, 1800/256, and I routinely get 1400-1500 kbits/sec download speeds, even in the evening hours, so I'm pretty happy with it.

6. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

i chose dsl for the following reasons

because i hate the cable company.

if some illeagally uncaps thier cable modem your connection is slower.

as the cable company increases its costumer load the speed will lower.

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I did not get DSL because I have a crappy phone line. I could only connect at 31Kbps when I was on dialup and they told me that my line was just bad and that would also affect my DSL speeds. So I went with cable and have been extremely happy with it. I just tested my connection and got 1624 Kbps down and 364Kbps upload. I have seen it over 2000 Kbps down on somedays.

8. Kazrath

Kazrath

DSL is MUCH faster than cable. IF you have good lines and are willing to pay for it.

For cost. Cable gives much higher end speed. (standard $50)

So it really depends on if you want to pay high fees for super fast DSL. OR standard costs for either and have a faster connection.

9. Kazrath

Kazrath

OH one last thing.

Check out www.dslreports.com

Lotta good information on dsl/cable connectivity.

10. McTimson

McTimson

It depends on where you live. If you live right next to a DSL thing, then your speeds will be very high. However, if you live far away, then cable may be the better choice. My DSL company sold us a 1024 down/384 up, but since we're pretty close to the building, we usually get 2000-2500 down.

If other people in your area have one or the other, ask them what they think of it...if you live in a really busy area, like a city, then cable may not be too good because it might slow down during heavy usage times.

11. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Generally and on average, cable is faster. However, it doesn't really matter about "generally". You have to go with what you specifically get in your specific location. Cable can be "generally" faster; but, if you have a dud for a cable provider, you'll get crappy service.

My cable connection is currently and consistently three Megabits per second. DSL can't touch that for the price I'm paying ($45 per month, including 75 TV channels).

As for DSL being more secure, as has been stated already, that's a bunch of bull. NO internet connection is secure--ever. We just have to do the best we can with stealth, firewalls and antivirus and then hope no one really wants to break in.

12. Cosmic

Cosmic

Again depends on where you live and what kind of deal you can get.

I have a bundled deal where I get Web cable, cable TV and Phone as a bundled service from the same provider. Super deal. About $100 a month with all the fees and taxes included. Damn what taxes and fees they have managed to lay on a fellow no matter the supplier.

Cable is very fast, never clocked it. Few problems ever, great support for all services. This is a completely new system. Not all cable is good. My old provider was crap.

All my neighbors have switched to the same service, everybody loves it.

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Cosmic, is that Knology you are with? Here in GA there is a deal for about $70 for what you have! :)

14. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

i agree that it depends on the area you live in, i have dsl, and my speed is usually somewhere around 1700 (down). but i live pretty close to the place. it's really cheap here too.
    you guys are talking about 70-100 bucks, but i paid nothing for installation, got a free modem, (not mail in rebate- just free), and it's 30 bucks a month, 60 combined with my phone bill.

15. compilerxp

compilerxp

DSL or CaBle... it depends on many factors...

I do prefer DSL because I AM NOT SHARiNG... but my friend down the street is smoking me with his CABLE. I don't have cable and dont really need the extra speed. But another friend with cable would get about 17k sec... at best. same company, different location.

Try both, compare rates... if the service is GOOD, be happy with it.
    Cable is generally faster - unless its on heavy load and a lot of people in your area are using it.

SBC BLOWS as a DSL provider... Thier new 2-Wire modems are cool (includes Wireless 802.1b & home wireless network) - but their Setup is PURE JUNK! Requires a PPP which I HATE... and its a pain to setup. Their "wizard" generally doesn't work and I skip it and call the tech guy for the "Special" URL to activate the account (I keep losing this piece of info, but I dont do this much for clients). With Verizon (DO NOT instal M$ MSN junk), you plug in the modem, attach it to your computer - refresh your IP (winipcfg or WindowsXP - automatic) and you're on the net.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice