Solved Cable(s) for SATA hard drive - Seagate Barracuda, in LeNovo

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shoogleguy

I just bought a couple Barracuda drives on eBay and want to install in my desk top LeNovo computer.
There is a couple cables free but only one fits the drive. The other 4-pin ones don't. There must be some sort of adapter for this.
Appreciate some help.
Thanks,
KJ

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
We would need to know which exact Barracuda drives you bought and your exact motherboard or atleast the model of the Lenovo in order to provide any useful guidance.

shoogleguy

I just bought a couple Barracuda drives on eBay and want to install in my desk top LeNovo computer.
There is a couple cables free but only one fits the drive. The other 4-pin ones don't. There must be some sort of adapter for this.
Appreciate some help.
Thanks,
KJ
It's lenovo ThinkCentre and the drive is; Seagate Barracuda 7200.12. I think that's all I can see.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
There have been many Lenovo ThinkCentre models made over the years...which model is yours? All that tells me about the drive is that its 7200RPM, which is typical for a desktop drive. Focus on the desktop model number...look for any labels on the tower itself?? Or if necessary remove the side panel and post back the info from the silkscreened model number from the board itself.

shoogleguy

Here's what I see on motherboard: lenovo Rev: V1.0
Seagate Drive - Barracuda s/n 9VY80MFH p/n 98L 13A-023

Hope this is enough.
KJ

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Cable P6 is for a floppy drive so disregard it. Cable P7 looks like the SATA power cable and the black cable in the last pic ios the SATA data connector to allow the drive and the board/PC to communicate. They should fit your drive, unless its a VERY old IDE style. Can you get a close up picture of the connectors on the back of the drive?

shoogleguy

Really appreciate the help. Trying my best to keep this old box going as I'm a pensioner and haven't a lot of money.
The Processor is: Intel Core Dual c6750 2.66 Ghz 4.00 G RAM 32 bit. if that's helpful.
KJ

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
Your drive uses sata pw and you need a sata data cable to plug into the motherboard.
IMG771 shows the sata pw connector so you still need the data cable and an open sata port on the motherboard.

shoogleguy

Thanks. I see lots of something like that on eBay and elsewhere so I guess will have to buy one.
Now to find open port on motherboard. Thanks, will keep you all posted.
KJ

shoogleguy

Thanks guys; I've ordered the recommended cables and will let you know when I get them if things work out. I'm sure they will.
KJ

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online