cable vs dsl

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sabledog

which is better ...cable that im on ... download speed is supposed to be 512kbs ... bellsouth offers dsl with downstream of 1.5 megabites.. 1st of all.. could you compare the 512kbs to 1.5megabites... maybe convert megabites to kbs... tell me the
advantages and disadvantages..of each

thank you
sd

Del

When I had cable, I had download speeds of about 1700kbps compared to DSL;s 990kbps but in the afternoon, when it got busy, cable dropped to about 59kbps and DSL was still 990kbps.
So, if you don't have a lot of users on cable, it's faster, but it you do, it's slower,.
Also, cable was down alot and DSL hasn't been down 15 minutes in the last 2 years.
All depends on when you use it and you area.

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
Del offers good info! DSL is a dedicated line! Cable is shared.
If you neighbors get on line, your speed will be diminished!

John

<i>could you compare the 512kbs to 1.5megabites... </i>
one is bigger ;)
basically 512 vs 1500 - a factor of 3

theoretical transfer rates, getting 80% - 90% of your advertised rate is considered good as there's always local, line conditions, and 'overhead'

generally agree re cable vs dsl comments above but it depends on your cable and telco/dsl provider(s) (i don't agree with the 'cable is shared' argument that telco advertising use, dsl networks become shared at a certain point before the internet also - but that's a different discussion)

i have a 4500 cable connection, even at it's slowest it doesn't fall below 2000, but it's usually 3200 to 3800 throughout the day and night. (and i also distribute dsl flyers around the neighborhood so people stay off my cable line ;))

in your case - sounds like dsl may be a better connection speed wise but remember:
price differences
cost re buy or rent modem
phone line hassles sometimes

here's a bellsouth user forum with some good links

and there may be other ISPs that service your area, using Bellsouth lines, try an ISP search here

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online