1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable Vs Dsl

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Thread Starter

Hi guys, Im at a xcroads, I currently have t-w cable and Im getting 256/256 for 30 bucks p/m

Yahoo dsl has 1.5mb/ 128-384 for 20 bucks

Should I switch?

2. GripS

GripS

if your only getting 256 down with cable (which seems odd) then i would definitely switch over to DSL. For the most part Cable is normally faster then DSL.

3. The Good Guy

What company do you have? Whats the speed? How much?

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Good Guy:As noted above,256 is really pretty awful.I am using Cox and just did a speed test and am getting 8-11 mbps and 515 kbps upload.
    That has been pretty consistant for me for well over a year.
    My caution to you about DSL would be,are they going to guarantee that speed,if not what are they willing to guarantee.On dsl,I think the limiting factors might be type of phone line(old copper or newer lines),distance from the main switch.I would not sign up for anything until you know some of the above.
    My Cox connection costs about $30.

5. The Good Guy

My God, ive been getting screwed.

this is the company I have, and Im paying the same thing, but not getting this speed, this is ridiculous

http://www.adelphiaoffers.com/1/order.php

here is what i was planning on switching to

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=...=CJ1&RD=37922269&DCMP=att_affiliatelandinghsi

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

Good Guy.If you have not called t/w and complained,you might want to do that first before you jump to Yahoo.
    You might also take a look at dsl extreme.Have heard some good things about them.My cautions about DSL still apply to really any DSL provider.

7. dungeonguard

dungeonguard

You guys, he has Road Runner Lite, the slower version of Road Runner.

If I were you though I would personally switch to DSL. From what it sounds like the service you have right now is pretty much awful for the price.

I currently have Centurytel DSL and I'm pretty happy with it. I would much rather have Road Runner Business Class, which we are going to switch to in about 8 months, but this is fine for now.

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

9. The Good Guy

i used that as well. I called adelphia and told them I was thinking about switching, she said i could get a faster speedfor more money.

10. dungeonguard

dungeonguard

Here are the results of my connection:

1,473 KBPS Download Speed

263 KBPS Upload Speed

I currently receive my service from Centurytel's DSL in a bundle I have with my telephone. Should I upgrade my Internet to a faster connection? I honestly don't know the price of what I have in the bundle... well, since it is a bundle, but I think the link below might be of some help...

http://www.centurytel.com/applications/checkDSL/dsl_price.cfm

I'm not sure, but I think I may have DSL Supreme.

11. The Good Guy

not available in my area, what should I do, what would u do if u were me.

12. dungeonguard

dungeonguard

I personally would upgrade to the actual Road Runner service. Right now you have Road Runner Lite which is comparable to a pretty slow DSL service. It's about $10 more per month to get true Road Runner.

13. The Good Guy

Im not looking to pay more for internet especially if that guy is getting that speed at cox for the same cash.

14. GripS

GripS

Sorry... I was working. I use Comcast Cable and get approx 8mb down and 356k up. The up speed isn't too good but i don't upload a whole lot anyway.

If you pay the extra 10 bucks what would the 'up to' speed be?

15. The Good Guy

not sure, how much did u say u pay for ur connection.?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice