1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable vs. Wireless connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NaceLunk, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaceLunk

NaceLunk Thread Starter

So I gotta router. Right now both computers connected via cable to the router. But we are soon moving to another house and the cable will be too short to connect second computer. So I am gonna need either wireless connection or a long 50 ft cable. So I would like to know what is better. I suppose there can be some troble with interfearences and stuff with wireless connection. Also I have some other questions: what does CAT 5E mean and how is it different from CAT 6E? What kinda adapter do I need to make a wireless connection? And does the speed depends on length of cable? And is wireless connection slower?

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

THis is subjective IMHO go wired if you want stability and faster internal LAN speed from computer A to B. Go wireless if you want to spend time setting up wireless and troubleshooting wireless drops and problems but the convenience of not running a wire.

6e is just a higher rated cable than a 5e, 5e is 5 enhanced, just like 6e is 6 enhanced. Either should work fine for a standard 100mb connection.

Any wireless G device either PCI or USB would work if you want wireless.

No not really.

Yes. Wirless 54G is a max of 54 and never hits 54 at all then you factor in its half duplex can only send or recieve not both at the same time like wired this cuts it in half right there. Then add in any interferance and finally add in multiple users fighting for information.

All of this is moot when you deal with wired networks short of the "multiple users fighting for information" portion.

3. onsite

onsite

that is so true, there is nothing like a wired link, also one other item stumpedtech left out, which i guess would go under the configuring. That is security. If not handled right wireless can be a security hole.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice