1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cables

Discussion in 'Networking' started by peterrn, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

Hello
    I have a gateway which has two ports for phone plugs at the top. There is a tan phone (? connector) at the top which plugs in to one of these ports of the gateway and the other gateway port is empty. One phone line runs from this tan device to the wall and the other to a splitter. This splitter sends one line to the printer/ fax and the other line to a phone recorder.
    Why can't the two phone ports be used instead of this connector?
    What is this connector at the top called and what purpose does it serve?
    I would have plugged one wire to the fax/printer from one of the ports and the other to the splitter for both the wall and also the recorder, eliminating the tan device.
    Is this device in the port because the wall line has to be involved in the setup so that two separate cables cannot be used and the tan device therefore has to be used?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    It would help us to help you identify the purpose of the ports if we knew the manufacturer and exact model number of the gateway device you are referring to.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    To add to the above a picture would help too.

4. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

Sorry about the sparse information.
    I hope the attachments will be of help. You can see the tan plug I referred to.

Attached Files:

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    It looks like you have a combination cable modem / router / eMTA (telephony) gateway device that can support two phone lines with two simultaneous phone conversations. Unless you are paying Comcast for a second line and number, the jack marked Tel2 is not a working phone line.

The tan plug that I assume is plugged into a jack marked Tel1, is a simple line splitter.

6. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

I now understand and thank you. The tan splitter's configuration, different from the other one which is simple and white, made me wonder what that tan one is.
    I see now where one is used to make one line into 2 and the other is made to insert into the tel 1 port and allow 2 line out.
    Is there a name for that tan device that plugs into the tel port 1 allowing tow lines out other than splitter? The simple one to two I can see as just a "splitter" but wondered about the name of the other tan device which I have never discovered.
    I will be looking under Google images and let you know unless you already do.

>>I found an RJ11 phone splitter to two female ports - could that be it.
    If so could you use a splitter that has a male into the port 1 with two females coming out as well?
    I was wondering if it had a purpose other than splitting , such as a DSL filter?
    I know I am splitting :) hairs but am trying to learn about networking.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The tan device in the photo has one male plug on one side and two femaljacks on the other, so you are already using, "a splitter that has a male into the port 1 with two females coming out".

A DSL splitter would most likely be labeled as a DSL splitter with one female jack labelel PHONE and the other jack labeled DSL or ADSL. Such a DSL splitter feeds the telephone LINE input directly to the DSl/ADSL jack, but places a low pass filter between the LINE input and PHONE output. This keeps the phone from interferring with the high frequency DSL signals.

8. peterrn

peterrn Thread Starter

Thank you for the information I understand now

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210984

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice