1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cabling question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by p4kelvinthip, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. p4kelvinthip

p4kelvinthip Thread Starter

hi !
    i am new here, and also to the whole networking..

so i might ask some stupid question ....plz bare with me .

well now to the questions, i read in lot of web sites that, if you connect 1 computer directly to a dsl/router, you have to use a ethernet crossover cable.
    And if you want to connect the router to a hub, you have to use a ethernet straight through cable.....is it just a recommendation?? wouldnt it work if i use either of the cables??...

and finally if i wanted to connect the router to the hub, what cables do i have to use to connect hub and computers..

2. play1998

play1998

ok no no no to connect from a modem to a computer you use a straight through cable, now from a computer to computer you will use a crossover, from a router to a computer is straight through from a router to a hub is crossover if they don't have uplink if they do then it could be straight through.

3. p4kelvinthip

p4kelvinthip Thread Starter

oh true !!....thankx al lot ....
    looks like i got all that wrong hehe..

4. peptobismal

peptobismal

yeah and then a router to router is a rollover

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice