cabling question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

p4kelvinthip

hi !
i am new here, and also to the whole networking..

so i might ask some stupid question ....plz bare with me .

well now to the questions, i read in lot of web sites that, if you connect 1 computer directly to a dsl/router, you have to use a ethernet crossover cable.
And if you want to connect the router to a hub, you have to use a ethernet straight through cable.....is it just a recommendation?? wouldnt it work if i use either of the cables??...

and finally if i wanted to connect the router to the hub, what cables do i have to use to connect hub and computers..

ok no no no to connect from a modem to a computer you use a straight through cable, now from a computer to computer you will use a crossover, from a router to a computer is straight through from a router to a hub is crossover if they don't have uplink if they do then it could be straight through.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online