1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cached disk space from uninstalled applications

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by James321, Jan 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. James321

James321 Thread Starter

Glary Utilities 5 says I have cached disk space from two now uninstalled applications.

The applications in question are Google Chrome and Google Earth. Both applications have been uninstalled and so, you should have thought, there should be no cached hard disk space from these two applications. See screenshot below:

Google cache.jpg

By the term "cached disk space", I am assuming that the application/browser in question has reserved a defined section of disk space for its own particular use at the exclusion of all other application, users etc?

This could add up to several GB of disk space for each application which is idle and therefore wasted.

How do you permanently remove such old caches from uninstalled applications on the hard disk?

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Press [WindowsLogoKey]+[R], paste in the following string:

%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache​

and press [Enter]. Is there anything in the folder?

3. James321

James321 Thread Starter

The result of the test returned a cannot find file. However I'm still using Windows Vista.

I am highly suspicious Google Chrome has actually cached some of my hard disk anyway. I usually use Firefox but had to download Google Chrome for a course I'm on. Straight after downloading Chrome around 3 GB went missing from the available disk space and this has not returned after uninstalling Chrome.

And this is an almost exact repeat of the last time I downloaded Google Chrome.

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

If you temporarily boot from a Linux USB you can browse wherever you like on your Windows drive and delete whatever you like.

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or USB key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.

When you're done, simply reboot your PC from the hard drive and you normally would.​

Be extremely careful of course. One mistake can kill Windows. :eek: (Safest bet is to do a complete backup first).

5. James321

James321 Thread Starter

The description you give of a temporarily boot from a Linux USB, that you can "delete whatever you like", is a little on the vague side. Will it really do the job I'm asking which is permanently removing disk caches?

Also it sounds a little risky........."one mistake can kill Windows.........."

Surely there must be some friendly downloadable software out there that can do the job? Problem is my searches to date hasn't come up with anything.

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

When Windows is running it has control over what you can see and do on the drive. Boot with Linux, and that problem disappears.

Linux has a file explorer similar to Windows Explorer. Use it to browse to the cached directories and simply delete them.

As far as being permanent, it will be until the next time the program needs to create a cache. Most of the time a cache is used so a program can get things done faster for you. If something you are requesting to look at is already available in the cache, it doesn't have to download it all over again.

As far as staying safe, while in Windows, jot down the complete path to each thing you want to delete. Boot Linux and delete only those, nothing else. That's it. Reboot into Windows.

If you aren't doing backups, you really need to get into the habit. It's easy to do and you can even be using the computer while it is happening. Macrium Reflect 7 Free Edition (Home Use) is the one I use weekly. Backups have saved my bacon more times than I can remember.

7. James321

James321 Thread Starter

As if by magic my 3 GB of disk space suddenly returned.

I was running a Backup on Norton 360 while attempting to run Glary Utilities at the same time, and both applications crashed. Had this circumstance somehow liberate the 3 GB of previously cached memory?

8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Cool! Excellent news. (y)

As to exactly who, why or what might have been causing the problem is a bit hard to tell from where I sit. :confused::)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice