1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Calibrate hp Printer

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by emmagrace, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmagrace

emmagrace Thread Starter

Hello; My operating system is Microsoft Windows XP. Model: A250E. Product Name is: hp pavilion a250e.

Tried making Avery Business Cards and had a problem trying to get a reading from a calibration sheet while attempting to calibrate my hp printer with the instructions given by Avery. I was advised by Avery that they could not assist since the program I was using is Corel.

Needed assistance on how to see the value required by reading the calibration sheet. I folded as instructed on both sheets. The fold lines or the crease that I made was exactly aligned with the vertical and horizontal fold lines and the vertical and horizontal printed scale. That would give me a reading of zero. Am I right in assuming this. I then printed onto an Avery blank template 8373. The sides were aligned fine, but the vertical aspect was to high. About an half inch to high.

Avery tech's informed me that I required assistance from Corel in order to calibrate my printer correctly. I cannot on my own find the values need to place into the dialog boxes as suggested. Any help would be appreciated! The Tech from Avery stated that if the axis was on zero, then my printer was fine. The dialog box stated that my printer was not calibrated and the blank card which was printed suggest the same!

Charles H. McDonald

2. Et Al

Et Al

If you 'calibrate' your printer to fit Avery templates, you may run into problems every where else.

Having an HP printer, and a fan of WordPerfect, I ran into the same problems.

My solution was to build tables for what I needed and saved those files. Once finely tuned, I found I had much more flexibility over what the Avery templates provided (i.e., better control of internal margins). Remember to lock your row heights and column widths.

Bear in mind also, you want each page to be able to fit on any printer if you're going to share the information or print it elsewhere. So make allowances for those printers that may have 'dead' margin areas (usually 0.17" Top/Left/Right and 0.46" Bottom). So 0.25" should be sufficient.

WordPerfect has it's own database, which I found really handy when I had a hugh amount of custom labels (hundreds) to make for a new filing system. Once I had my tables built and tested for perfect positions page after page, I used the database to type in my information. Then I set up fields in the table to be populated. I only needed a table with one row for this job, because I used the 'repeatrow' to create a new row when the current one filled up and continue to populate and grow the table until all the data was populated.

What was really neat was later I could use the database to sort and print just what I wanted, so none of the labels were wasted with misprints. The information was color coded to identify systems, but the information that needed to be typed in was not in order nor coming in at the same time. I saved time by typing all the information into the database and using the unique information to sort which printed on the color labels I had in the printer at the time.

If you think about it, that's all Avery did to create their templates. You're just making your own.

3. emmagrace

emmagrace Thread Starter

Good Morning ET AL:

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your quick response and sharing your experiences with me. I haven't had an opportunity to implement your suggestions, but thanks for showing me another road to travel. Many thanks.

emmagrace

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice