calling all gurus!!!!!!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lastminute

:confused: I really need help. I have verizon dsl w/wireless router. I have two other computers (older) that I would like to hook up to the router. Both do not have modems ( I will be buying them). I have no idea what else I need to buy. Do I need networking cards for the two or just for the main puter. I was able to build one of these and yet I cannot figure this out. I feel like a retard. None of the 3 computers are linked to each other.

Please help
helpless mom wanting her office back.

all the computers you want on the router willl need a network card, not a modem.
when they all have network cards, give us a holler if you need help setting them up

Thats your setup. The DSL Modem connected to the router via Ethernet cable. And then the computers individually connected to the router with ethernet cable from the network card in the PC to the ports on the back of the router.

As killah said, you will need network cards, or NIC's, to connect the computers not a modem.

Since you have a wireless router I assume that you want to use a wireless connection for the two of the systems. Your base system needs a network card or perhaps it has an onboard one. As has been pointed out you will hard wire by a cable this card to the router as per Carlson's picture. They other two will need wireless network cards and will not need any direct wired connection to the router. If the three system are close to one another you can also use the router to directly connect the three system together with cable. What is your plan so we can advise?

lastminute

thanks for the replies. One computer is in the basement, the other is 2 rooms down from the main one. I will not be able to use cables. I will be wanting wireless. So I will buy two wireless network cards, possibly three because i have no idea if the main computer has one. My oldest son was using dial up but has since fried his modem. Thats why I want to hook up his computer to mine so he can use my dsl. :rolleyes:

Don't get a wireless card for your system, just for the other two. Get a "regular" network card and cable it directly to the router. Although not foolproof one way to see if you have an onboard adapter is to look at the back of your system. If you see a plug that looks like where you plug in a phone only bigger that's for the network.

But before you do anything is your main system already connected and using the router?

OK, you need wireless cards for the other two computers. You may want to check with Verizon to see if you need any particular type. Which Windows operating system do you have and what's on the other two?

lastminute

windows 2000 on all 3... i called verizon, they said no certain one will be needed.

thank you for your help..you rock!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online