Calling all TV Experts!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CoasterFreak

Everett
Hey all. My dad just bought him and I Akai LCD TVs, his a 32" and mine a 27". Anyways, today we just received two HDTV boxes from Comcast. The HD channels are amazing...big problem now...the non-HD channels look horrible. They actually look worse now then they did when we had the regular digital cable boxes. Anyone know how to fix this problem or can help me adjust my TV to get the best picture? Thanks.

Agreed. I know quite a bit about TV´s, but never worked with HD. Got to get Mulder over to this thread.

Post a half-naked woman, that will get him over here double time :D

Well, I don't know why the non-high def channels look horrible--I would contact Comcast Tech Support. I would also try the non-high def channels on a different input. Many times, RCA or S-Video actually looks better than Component on standard channels.

BTW--moving this thread to Multimedia where it will get more attention.

By any chance do you have a DVR built into your cable box? Comcast usually provides the Motrola HD cable box and if you have the one with the built in DVR, there is little you can do. If so then expect this kind of degradation with SD (standard definition TV). By the way, I have the General Instruments Box with DVR from my cable provider, and SD looks pretty good (compared to TIVO). Again, there is a qualitiative difference from box to box.

BTW--I bypass the High Def box for standard (or can do it if I want) by having a VCR hooked up to the my Receiver and having the cable go directly to the VCR (i.e., split out before it goes into the High Def box. Some Standard Def channels look better going directly through analog cable to the television. I have no idea why--but you can see a difference. The disadvantage is you don't have the on-screen guide of course, but I do this only when watching a show that looks better from the VCR tuner--just switch over that input.

Isn't sling box the hardware that can generate streaming media from your home to your computer anywhere you are?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Candy has a sling box, so she should be able to talk about it. :)

Mulder, you have once again surprised me on how integrated the gutter is to your brain :rolleyes:

On a serous note, I have never heard of a sling box before? From the previous posts It looks like it takes a digital signal and then sends it to another receiver on a computer. Is this correct? If so there would be easier and cheaper ways of doing that. Or do I got this wrong and a sling box is actualy a web-broadcast device?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online