1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Calling Engineers

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by ejspin, Jan 24, 2005.

Advertisement
  1. ejspin

ejspin Thread Starter

I am interviewing different Engineers for a project at school.
    If any engineers would like to help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

These are just a few general queestions, please feel free to add your own comments:
    1.What's your name
    2.What do you do?
    3.Why Engineering?
    4.How long have you been an engineer?
    5.How do you feel about the lack of females in this profession?
    6.Do you have a family? If so, does your career affect them?
    If not, did your career play a role in that?
    7.Are you still learning new things, or do you already know everything you need to know for your job?

Thank You for your contributions!!!

2. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

1.What's your name. Note telling you :p
    2.What do you do? Structural CAD designer
    3.Why Engineering? Had a knack for it right off the bat
    4.How long have you been an engineer?15 years
    5.How do you feel about the lack of females in this profession? I have found that there are several. Especially in the Graphics part of my industry.
    If not, did your career play a role in that?Irrelivant to the question, and none of your business. :p Second thought, Yes, I do have a family. Wife & 2 kids. Yes it affects them everytime they eat a meal, use the phone or hop into their warm bed at night.
    7.Are you still learning new things, or do you already know everything you need to know for your job?Learning is a constant. Anyone who says different is lagging behind

Thank You for your contributions!!!
    Cheers

3. ejspin

ejspin Thread Starter

Thanks LANMaster

4. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx

dont know if you want students, but i am posting anyway

1.What's your name. Buffalo Dan
    2.What do you do? Civil Engineering
    3.Why Engineering? Liked building things
    4.How long have you been an engineer?all my life (a student for 5 months)
    5.How do you feel about the lack of females in this profession? I call it quality control.
    If not, did your career play a role in that?I have parents, that means I can't do too many stupid things. The dorm is a family, that means I have to do some stupid things.
    7.Are you still learning new things, or do you already know everything you need to know for your job? Dear lord. Its engineering, the study of how things work. You always learn new things. Today i learned the Newton's Laws of Physics are wrong. But I still need to learn them.

5. buck52

buck52 Banned

That's certain to help your career... :rolleyes:

buck

6. haplo210

haplo210

student again.

1.What's your name. Graeme Cruickshank
    2.What do you do? Electronic and electrical engineering
    3.Why Engineering? I want to be able to do something usefull, something there is a need for skilled workforce constantly and a chance to work in a field that i have to keep learning in.
    4.How long have you been an engineer?currently 2nd year of 4 in a BEng course at uni
    5.How do you feel about the lack of females in this profession? Dont ask...four in the entire engineering faculty...i dated two of them already...actually still going with one for a year now. :D
    6.Do you have a family? If so, does your career affect them? nah skimming off the folks still...lol. :D
    7.Are you still learning new things, or do you already know everything you need to know for your job? You never stop learning. Some of it is daft that you already know, but alot ogf things change constantly. Newton, thevenin, Norton and whole load more dead guys names...all theories your expected to pull out of a hat.

Seriously though, its a great course in an area that pays very well. 95% of graduates from my unio go into a job within three months with major companies. You cannot complain at that. Pluis its somewhere that you can feel you will be needed.

Ps. this i smy view....im an engineer...we desinged lifts and escalators etc...im darn well going to make sure i use them-no matter how lazy you call me for it.

7. ejspin

ejspin Thread Starter

Thanks Dannyboy and Haplo, for being honest about your views
    Great stuff here.....hoping to get a woman's perspective on this too

8. haplo210

haplo210

ill try and persuade the four that i know of to come on and post for you-no gaurantee tho

9. ejspin

ejspin Thread Starter

Thanks man, I appreciate it

10. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx

our school is 65% male, and we love to complain about the lack of females, but it is nice sometimes, when we go to another liberal arts college (we look down on those). People will complain about how you can't find a enough guys to have fun. The girl issue is just over exagerated. It dosnt really bother too many people. But it is always fun to complain.

11. haplo210

haplo210

try four out of 250

12. ejspin

ejspin Thread Starter

Women only make up a small percentage of the engineering field.

13. MightyQueenC

MightyQueenC

Just offering a little giggle :) :

Reaching the end of a job interview, the Human Resources Officer asked a young Engineer fresh out of MIT, "And what starting salary were you looking for?"
    The Engineer replies, "In the region of $125,000 a year, depending on the benefits package."
    The interviewer enquires, "Well, what would you say to a package of 5-weeks vacation, 14 paid holidays, full medical and dental, company matching retirement fund to 50% of salary, and a company car leased every 2 years say, a red Corvette?"
    The Engineer sits up straight and says, "Wow! Are you kidding?"
    And the interviewer replies, "Yeah, but you started it."
    :p :D

14. ascotta

ascotta

Go on then I will be as honest as I can be :

1.What's your name Scott Adamson
    2.What do you do? Netowrks and Systems Integrations etc mainly
    3.Why Engineering? Kinda fell into it after being a Joiner and then Cobol Programmer
    4.How long have you been an engineer? 10 Years
    5.How do you feel about the lack of females in this profession? I feel it is very sad. There should be more and they should be activly encouraged
    6.Do you have a family? If so, does your career affect them? Yes married (16 years) 1 kid. I think it has provided for the roof and grub,. It has helped put my wife through University. Adversly, the stress of being the wage earner kinda limited my career.
    7.Are you still learning new things, or do you already know everything you need to know for your job? If you don't learn on a daily basis you ain't doing your job. If you think you know it all then you should not be an Engineer. The best engineers are the lazy ones. They always find the shortest route to a solution.

15. haplo210

haplo210

LOL. Nice one.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice