Calling Win98 server from Win2000

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

IanWW

I have set up a machine using Windows 98 to act as a server using dial up server. I have found that I am able to call in and access files from a machine using win 95. However if I try calling using a machine running Win 2000 I get a message indicating that my password was not authenticated.

On the Windows 98 machine (the Server) I have the following networking components installed

Client for Microsoft Networks
Dial up Adaptor
IPX/SPX compatable
Filoe and printer sharing

I have similar components on the Win 95 machine however on the Win 2000 machine there does not appear to be an option to add the dial up adapter component so it is missing from the win 2000 setup.

An all machines the server type is set to Windows 95/98 ect.

Any Ideas ???

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You probably need to add TCP/IP to the W98 machine, my guess is the W2K machine doesn't have a matching protocol.

IanWW

So if I do this do I need to specify IP address. If so what should they be

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
In re-reading your message, I see that you're direct dialing into your machine, not accessing it via the Internet. I will retract my answer, I'm not sure what it would take to get these machines talking, never tried to do that. :) I prefer to put the server on the Internet so I can access it from anywhere without a long distance phonecall.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online