Cam and error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DoyceJ

Got this pm and posted it for them. Spinkystyles

can you help?
Hello, i am trying to conect a webcam to my computer but it says file C\:WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD[NTKERN.vxd] is corrupt, and the cam is not detected, i dont have the windows disk, and it is no on my hard drive, is there anything you can do to help, it would be greatly appriciated as i know nothing about computers, thanx 16/m/auz

DoyceJ

Good info here for cam.

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54989&highlight=me+restore

Error, although other will have different ideas.

The MS Windows '98 installation does not install some vxd files in your system directory ( what did you expect ? ). To resolve 20 to 50% of the system errors in any Win98 build ( including the final release ), extract these vxd files manually from cab 47 and 48 into c:\windows\system and c:\windows\system\vmm32 The following files should be extracted:
vcomm.vxd, vdmad.vxd, configmg.vxd, vdd.vxd, vmouse.vxd, ntkern.vxd, vflatd.vxd.
Extract these files to both directories and reboot. Your system will love you for it .

This bug in the installation of Windows '98 is not reported or confirmed by Microsoft, and there seems to be some controversy on whether extracting the vxds really improves anything. Judging by the hundreds of positive replies I'm getting, it fixes numerous problems in the operation of Windows.

VMM32.VXD is a generic, slower MS driver, build at Windows installation. Some of the drivers needed on your system, including these vxd's are supposed to be part of VMM32. As it turns out, however, it generates numerous problems with most PCs. Extracting the vxd's to the system and vmm32 directories provides for loading the newest drivers separately. It has been proven to fix lockups, error messages at start-up, VMM errors, erratic/slow mouse movement and many others..

To check if you need the vxd's for yourself, look in the Driver File Details tabs in your Device Manager ( Control Panel > System > Device Manager ). If you find entries containing 'vmm32', there's a good chance you need to extract these manually. For example, in my Modem Driver details, I had " C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VCOMM.VXD (VMM32) " before, and just " C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VCOMM.VXD " after I extracted the vxd's.Note: if you're upgrading, rather than doing a clean install of Windows '98, you might have the old, Windows '95 vxd's in your system. You can check the file versions ( they should be 4.10.1998 ) if you want to find out whether you need the vxd's

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online