1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Camcorder as surveillance device -- how practical is it?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Alex Ethridge, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have a few old analog camcorders, a couple of good-quality web cameras and several computers around the house located near windows. So, how practical is it to set up these as surveillance devices and record data to the hard disks of these computers?

If practical, where would one find decent software to handle the incoming data?

2. bp936

bp936

I use ArcSoft Showbiz DVD creator, that saves from any Input from Device or file to disk. Program came with one of my cameras and it works even with a cheap video recorder.

3. Alex Ethridge

I currently have a motion-sensing record function on a cheap network camera. What about that for the software for the camcorder. Do you know anything about that?

That would make searching for events far easier as 99% of the time, nothing is moving.

4. bp936

bp936

I just try different programs and see if it works, I don't have a motion sensor camera.
    I was hoping more people will have their input for you, keep on bumping your post.
    I also google for stuff like this trying to find a free program.

5. Alex Ethridge

That is my primary problem. I have looked for programs in the past and either found clunky programs poorly designed or programs so expensive as to make the purchase of a professional surveillance system attractive in comparison.

Actually, the motion sensing in those systems seems to me to be in the recording application, itself, not in the camera.

What I am looking for is a program that will start recording a few seconds before motion is detected and then continue for a user-selectable period after motion stops. Then there is the problem of deleting certain older recordings as new ones meet maximum space on the hard disk.

6. bp936

bp936

Just had this weird idea, I would maybe talk to some Variety store owners, they seem to have so many different cameras and I am sure, not all of them have an expensive program. What do you think?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/981856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice