1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Camcorder is an unknown device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sievehead, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sievehead

sievehead Thread Starter

Hello,

i have a jvc gr-d240ek digital video camcorder. it has a 1394 dv out socket. i have 2 laptops. neither has a 1394 socket. one is running windows 7 and the other is xp. i bought a cable that attaches to the dv out port on the camera and has a usb thing at the other end. when i plug it into either laptop it shows as an unknown device. help? i don't know what to do next. i thought that it might be something to do with a driver, so i have searched for hours for a driver for this camera but not found anything. looking forward to your help.

sievehead

2. sievehead

sievehead Thread Starter

Does anyone have an idea, please?

3. Bernardo

Bernardo

It may not work with an adapter type cable. You may need to connect it directly to a firewire port.

Can you test the camera on a different pc with a firewire port?

4. Bernardo

Bernardo

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You're best bet is buy a PCMCIA/PCCard Firewire card or a ExprssSlot Firewire card depending on what your laptops support. I would trust these USB adapters, USB isn't good enough for these transfers anyway hence why Firewire is used on most camera's for video transfer and USB is there for picture transfers only.

Example:

PC Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...31&cm_re=firewire_card-_-15-124-031-_-Product

Express Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...04&cm_re=firewire_card-_-39-229-004-_-Product

6. sievehead

sievehead Thread Starter

thanks for your input. i have since changed one of my laptops. i now have one with a firewire port and have connected the camera to this laptop via 4 pin 1394 cable. this laptop is running windows xp. i gave up on the usb firewire thing - was not getting anywhere with it. anyway, guess what - still can't see this camera. thought it would just plugged and played. any thoughts?

many thanks.

7. Bernardo

Bernardo

Did you look at the manual to see if it needs any software installed?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to use video capture software to get the video off it. I believe the latest version of Windows Movie Maker that comes with the Windows Live Essentials allows you to import video from a camcorder.

9. sievehead

sievehead Thread Starter

the manual does not mention using any software. it just says to connect the cable to the pc first, then the camera, then to turn the camera on. which i did. i'm assuming that movie maker will only be useful once my laptop recognises the camera and i can see it in my computer..? the manual does mention using either a jvc vc-vdv206u or jvc vdv204u dv cable. i am not using either of these. thought that jvc just want you to buy more of their branded goods, surely any 4 pin firewire cable would do the job..? thanks for your continued assistance, i appreciate it.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you want to transfer video from the camera you need software to do that. Windows Movie Maker is free, try it.

11. Bernardo

Bernardo

Open up Movie Maker and see if you see the camera there.

12. sievehead

sievehead Thread Starter

will do, i'll let you know how it goes.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice