1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Camera/computer connection issue

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by kenneth7379, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kenneth7379

kenneth7379 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ken
    I've encountered a problem connecting my camera (Prntax RS1000) to my computer (PC/Windows XP) in order to upload pictures. There's a message balloon appearing which says...."Power Surge On Hub Port. A USB device has exceeded the power limits of it's hub port".

As per the instructions......."To reenable the port, disconnect the hardware and click Reset".....I've turned the camera off, disconnected it, and pushed Reset. It hasn't helped.

In case this helps.....Normally if the camera is connected to the computer, when the power is torned on, the screen illuminates and the power light comes on, but the lenses doesn''t extend out from camera body. There's also a short little chirp from the camera as the upload graphics appear on the computer screen. Now, the chirp is gone, and the camera lenses extends as soon as the power is turned on.

Having never encountered this before, I'm completely baffled and don't even know how to determine if it's the camera software that's loaded on the computer, the computer hardware itself, or the camera.

Can anyone advise me? Thank you

2. kenneth7379

First Name:
    Ken
    Wow, did I stump the forum?

I've done some looking online and it appears that what I'm experiencing is a common problem, but there's no consensus what the best remedy is. The one thing that seemed directed toward solving the problem, rather than masking the symptom by making the warning on the screen disappear, was to disable the Sleep and Hibernate functions. I have no idea is this is a good thing to do, or how it's done, and I'm looking for some feedback from the experts.

Additional information......I've just had an opportunity to plug my camera into another computer and the same "Power Surge On Hub Port" warning appears. Does this mean it's a camera fault rather than the computer?

3. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Sounds to me like it is a problem with the camera. It is probably trying to charge itself from your usb port and it is taking too much power.

Get yourself a card reader and just put the camera memory card in that to get your photos off.

4. kenneth7379

First Name:
    Ken
    Thanks for the response, Colin. When I didn't hear anything within a few hours, I spent money for one of those online ask-a-tech services. His assessment is that it's the cord between the camera and the computer. I checked by phone and I can obtain an new cable locally tomorrow, so hopefully that'll solve it. I also found an identical camera super-cheap on eBay, so I bought it. I guess if the new cable doesn't solve my problem, I'll have a substitute camera to try when it arrives in about three weeks. I'll report back if I'm successful so that hopefully it'll help somebody else down the road. Thanks.
    Ken

5. Peano

Peano Banned

Does your computer have card slots?

6. kenneth7379

First Name:
    Ken
    Yes it does. The online tech I used suggested plugging the camera card directly into the computer. I did it once, just to download what I had stored. I've had poor luck with the cards failing though, and I assume it's because I was installing/removing them fairly frequently to use different cards for different purposes. Since I put the latest card in and hadn't removed it until yesterday, it's been super reliable for months.

7. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Using a card reader is generally more reliable than using a lead to your camera.

If you are having problems with corrupted cards then you need to look at your process for removing and adding them. Always use the windows eject function if it is available for the card. Make sure any applications / windows explorer that is accessing the card is closed down before removing it.

Always re-format the card in your camera before use NEVER in your computer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice