1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Camera Connectivity- HDMI to SDI Dilema

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FSXpilotChris, May 12, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. FSXpilotChris

FSXpilotChris Thread Starter

Hello
    I recently bought cameras, along with a capture device that is an HDMI to SDI converter. That being said, I am having a little difficulty solving a problem I have. First of all, my computer is an all-in-one (no case, only monitor). Since it is like this, I can't just simply buy an SDI adapter and install it on my computer. My computer only has HDMI ports on the back, no SDI. What I am planning to do is connect my camera to the capture device with an HDMI cable, then connect an SDI cable on the other end of the capture device and plug it into my computer. However, since my computer has no SDI ports, this is a problem. I have been attempting to look everywhere for an SDI to HDMI cable where one end is SDI and the other end is HDMI, but do those not exist? If not, how am I going to solve this predicament I am endeavoring to solve by next week?

SDI .png For example, I can't simply install something like this on my computer since it's an all-in-one (monitor only).

2. Sponsor

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi FSXpilotChris, and welcome to TSG.

Are you sure that at least one of the HDMI ports on the computer is specifically listed an input port?

What kind of outputs are on the cameras?

What is the brand and exact model number of the "capture device that is an HDMI to SDI converter" that you bought?

Does the computer any any USB ports?

4. FSXpilotChris

My computer has 2 HDMI ports, 4 USB ports(1 currently being used for a USB that connects my wireless keyboard and mouse), and my camera has A/V, SDI, and HDMI ports.
    I bought the Blackmagicdesign HDMI to SDI converter.
    For specifics, the cameras I bought are the SONY HXR MC-2500, and my computer is the HP Pavilion 27" Touch-Screen All-In-One - Intel Core i7 - 12GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive + Intel Optane Memory - HP finish in blizzard white

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    From what I can find on line, some HP Pavilion all-in-one computers may have an HDMI input port. I found one such model here:

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-pavilion-all-in-one-27-r025xt

If your particular model has that same feature, you may be able to connect the HDMI output from the camera directly to the computer's HDMI input, without the need for any converters.

Your camera also is listed as having a USB port. You may be able to use that to transfer recorded video files from the camera to the computer.
    https://pro.sony/en_IL/products/shoulder-camcorders/hxr-mc2500#ProductFeaturesBlock-hxr-mc2500

Things would be a lot more complicated if you needed to capture and record on the computer live feeds from more than one camera at a time.

6. FSXpilotChris

The problem is that both camera's distance from my computer will be by a distance greater than thirty feet. Also, since I am planning to live stream and HDMI isn't great for that, SDI is the way to go.
    Yes, I know my camera has an HDMI port, but cabled for HDMI aren't as long as SDI and are not as reliable for live streaming.
    I bought two of the same capture cards.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. FSXpilotChris

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
  10. FSXpilotChris

It has 4 USB ports, 2 HDMI ports, and 3 Ethernet ports.

11. FSXpilotChris

You guys know what? I think this might solve my problem.
    So, my camera's SDI port is labeled as "Out." The capture card I bought is HDMI to SDI. Therefore, could I connect my SDI from my camera's Out port to my capture card's SDI out, then connect the HDMI IN on the capture card to my computer's HDMI port? Would my computer receive the signal from my camera?

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    No. If you did in fact purchase an HDMI to SDI converter as described in the link below, it can only convert an incoming HDMI signal to an SDI ouput. It will not work in reverse.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/microconverters/techspecs/W-CONU-04

I asked specifically how many USB 3.0 ports were on your computer, not how many USB ports in general. You can identify a USB 3.0 receptacle by it having 5 contacts in the front row instead of 4 contacts found in previous USB version. Can you please tell us the exact and full model number of your computer?

Where are you getting your information that HDMI is not a great or reliable connection method for creating streaming video?

Good quality HDMI cables can by found in 50 foot lengths. They are not common, but do exist.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=hdmi+cable+50'

13. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
  14. FSXpilotChris

15. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Say what? The HP model number is 27-R014 in your Best Buy Link. According to the specifications for the 27-r014 on the HP website, there are only two USB 3.1 ports while the other two are USB 2.0.

If you insist on using SDI to run signals from your two cameras to the computer, you could start with connecting the cameras' HDMI outputs to the two Blackmagicdesign HDMI to SDI converters that you have. You would then run two suitable SDI cables from the converters to the area by your computer. You could then use two of the SDI to USB 3 video capture devices I mention in post #6 to feed the video information to the two USB 3.1 ports on the computer. There may be other methods to do what you want that Rob or someone else here may suggest.

I have no idea what kind of software you would need to generate your video streams once you get the two video sources feeding into the computer.

16. FSXpilotChris

So basically, what you're saying, is use an HDMI cable that connects from my camera to my capture card, use and SDI cable that connects to another capture card, then send out that signal to my computer?
    It would simply be like this?: (CC = capture card)
    Camera HDMI-> CC SDI OUT -> CC SDI IN -> HDMI OUT -> Computer HDMI??
    I'd have to use four capture card, two for each camera?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice