1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Camera in USB

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JamesE, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesE

JamesE Thread Starter

The normal course of events when one plugs a Minolta digital camera into a USB socket and turn it on is for the "dong-ding" sound and shortly after a window giving one options. i.e. view folders in Explorer, view pictures, copy pictures, etc. This happened on my old PC, on my old PC completely re-instaled, on my laptop.....

I recently completely re-built another for my good lady. Biostar MB, Sempron, XP Home. In all other aspects it is perfect but when I plug in and switch on the camera I get the "dong-ding" and nothing happens. If I now go to control panel and d.click "add hardware" then immediately the usual window, described above appears. I can then close "add hardware" and control panel and proceed as normal.

There's something missing somewhere! What? I should add that the first time it did go through all its "found new hardware" routine.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Does this happen with All the USB ports??

3. JamesE

JamesE Thread Starter

Hi, I've just come away from herself's computer after previously spending the afternoon bowling (proper bowling, Sir Francis Drake stuff - not 10 pin!). Yes it happened on all ports. I've got to the bottom of it. I put a new scanner on mine because I thought my scanner was duff. In the event it wasn't - it was a dodgy connection of the USB socket. Thus I put the old one on herself's computer but I always had had trouble with it with XP. I finally got it onto my old one after a lot of trickery but this time I downloaded new drivers from Mustek. I might as well not have bothered as there was obviously a clash somewhere.
    Thus. The camera works again. My wife hasn't a scanner, but then she didn't have one before. I have a scanner which is perfect for WIN98. Anyone in Lincolnshire, UK, want it?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice