1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Camera not working: Please help

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by thelamecoolguy, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thelamecoolguy

thelamecoolguy Thread Starter

I have just finished my month-long exam. (That's not the problem; it's described below).

A week before my exams, I had opened Windows (in Safe mode, as Windows is not booting in normal configuration, and I have to re-install it) to transfer the photos. I connected the camera with the computer with the help of a USB cable, and turned the camera on. As usual, the LCD of the camera was off while the lens was out, the LED was green in colour. After I copied the photos, since I didn't find the "Safely remove hardware" option, I shutted down the computer, and still, the LCD was off. I took out the camera from the cable, still the camera is in that state, the LED is still on. I tried several things, but the same thing is happening. The lens is out, the LED off.

How can I get my camera working again?

It's a Nikon Coolpix 5600 (5.1 megapixels, 3x optical zoom).

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

batteries?

3. thelamecoolguy

The batteries were inserted. I took it out, the LEDs went off. I put them again, try to open the camera, nothing!

4. mrss

mrss Guest

I'm sure Buck52 meant new batteries.

5. thelamecoolguy

Hmm... haven't tried that. Will report after trying.

6. thelamecoolguy

New batteries doesn't seem to work either. Is there anything else I can do?

7. mrss

mrss Guest

Maybe a corrupted memory card is freezing the camera. Did you try removing the card?

Good luck.

8. thelamecoolguy

Yes, I tried that several times, taking the card out, pressing the on button. Putting it back again, trying. Nothing works.

9. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

10. wilson44512

wilson44512

you should never turn off the pc when the camera is still connected to it.

are you saying that the lens is stuck out. even when there ain't no batteries in it?
    make sure that your putting the batteries in the right way. and after replacing the batteries will the camera turn on and off?
    can you turn the camera on and off with out the memory card in it?
    did you try hooking it back up to your pc? and see what happens.
    if at any time you can turn it on. try resetting the setting to the camera.. how old is this camera? one thing you can try is leaving the batteries out of the camera for 24 hours. some time that helps reset it. but make sure you put new batteries in it when you do.

11. thelamecoolguy

The layout of that site is horrible, but I'll give it a try.
    Update: I've posted at http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=153&topic_id=7099&mesg_id=7099&page= . Let's see what reply I get there.

If I remove the camera without selecting the "Safely remove hardware" option while in Windows, Linux (PCOSLinux is also installed on my PC) simply fails to boot and says that I have to use that "Safely remove hardware" option. I had done this before, but only now this affected.

Yes.

Of course I have put the batteries in the right way. And after doing that as well, the camera is simply dead.

No.

I already did. Nothing works.

Three years old.

I'll try that. Thank you.

12. wilson44512

wilson44512

if leaving the batteries out for a day don't work. and since the camera is 3 years old. the camera might have went bad . i have a nikon L3 and its 2 years old. and it stopped working. so you might have to look for a new camera. maybe because you have Linux on your pc. but i never used that "Safely remove hardware" option. i just turned the camera off and then unpluged it from the pc.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice