1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Camera & Photo Printer ??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by valovesnc, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. valovesnc

valovesnc Thread Starter

I just purchased a camera from HSN it is a Digital Camera a Mustek 4.1 megapixel I wondered if anyone has a Mustek and if anyone can tell me what they think of it. Also I haven't purchased a Photo Printer yet can anyone give me any info on a good printer. Thanks so much.
    Val in NC

2. Rockn

Rockn

DOes your camera have a memory card or is the memory internal? If it is removable there are lots of new printers you can plug your memory card directly into and print your photos. We have an HP PSC 2175 and it does some cool stuff. Any printer you get the major overhead cost is the ink cartridges and photo inks are quite spendy.

3. slipe

slipe

That camera has a 3.1Mp sensor and does internal interpolation to give a 4.1Mp 2272 x 1704 image. I would use the 2048 x 1536 at best quality JPG and not use the camera interpolation. All of the reviews I’ve seen on other cameras that do internal interpolation don’t do any better than if you were to take the sensor resolution and just upsample with a good filter like the Lanczos filter in the freeware Irfanview. And some don’t do as well. It doesn’t make sense to use the space on the memory card for the extra pixels when you can generate them just as well yourself.

A 3.1 Mp image will print a good 8 X 10 photo on a photo printer. Since you don’t have an optical zoom you will likely be cropping a lot and that can reduce the resolution to the point you get print degradation. My rule of thumb is that if the crop takes me below 130 PPI I resample back to 300 PPI.

You will need a larger SD card to be able to shoot at good quality and get a large number of photos. The 16Mb that comes with it isn’t sufficient for a 3Mp camera. SD cards are relatively inexpensive.

Epson photo printers are excellent for the price. They are a bear to refill because of a chip in the cartridge to keep you from refilling. The chip also makes aftermarket tanks more expensive. But an inexpensive photo printer like the Epson Photo 820 will give excellent quality for less than $80.

Canon photo printers are easy to refill and you get excellent results if you use quality ink like www.inksupply.com Canon’s upper end printers are excellent and fast, but they are pricey. The i820 at less than $100 is refillable and has good quality.

If you are planning to have only one printer you probably don’t want a photo printer with 6 colors. They are slow with text and don’t do as good a job as the 4 color general purpose printers. I have separate printers for normal use and photo quality and it works out well. The newer 4 color printers do good photos. HP has a couple of inexpensive printers that let you swap out the 4 color for 6 colors, but the ink is very pricey.

4. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

I have a HP 7550 and love it..the chip goes right into the printer, you can print photo's w/o the PC even being turned on. And that eliminates the need for a card reader also. Even so, you're better off checking them out in a image program first, but my wife, who is PC challenged, loves being able to print 4"x6" photo's w/o turning on the PC !

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/155111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice