1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Camncorder-firewire-pc

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by jsings42, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jsings42

jsings42 Thread Starter

Have JVC GR-DA30U connected to my PC via firewire. The computer does not recognize camera being present. I saw one forum answer state that Win Movie Maker sometimes had problems so advice was to install WinDv. It didn't see the camera either. What's next?

2. antimoth

antimoth

No insult intended, but first read the camera manual just in case you haven't set the camera controls to the right settings.

Does the PC make the usual kaboonk sound and announce it has found a driver when you plug in the camera?

Is the firewire cable keyed in properly? If you jammed it in upside down, which is possible sometimes, bad things happen. Been there. Done that.

3. Hughv

Hughv

I solved this problem once by using an updated version of Nero.

4. jsings42

jsings42 Thread Starter

No offense taken. I install electronics for a living and am forced to ask seemingly obvious questions daily. I am amazed at the answers I get sometimes.
    I went through the manual with a fine toothed comb, but there are no "settings" pertaining to connection type, only pictures and brief instructions on which end of the cable to connect first. No I didn't get the sound or the pop-up announcing a new device being added. I uninstalled the firewire card and restarted the computer. It found the new card and loaded the drivers for it but the camera still does not exist.
    In response to one suggestion I downloaded and installed WinDv to no avail. My question regarding Nero would be, "IF the computer does not see the camera being connected, How is Nero going to see it in order to use it?"

5. jsings42

jsings42 Thread Starter

I think I remember having used the cable and the camera on another computer with no problems but am not 100% sure. I will try it on that computer tomorrow to be sure.

6. Hughv

Hughv

Good question On the occasion in question, Nero wouldn't see the drive until it was updated to the latest version, so I'm guessing it has a database of equipment and/or drivers that needs to be current.
    This whole business of Firewire Cameras on PCs seems to cause a lot of problems.

7. jsings42

jsings42 Thread Starter

which version of nero do I need?

8. Hughv

Hughv

The latest.

9. jsings42

jsings42 Thread Starter

Did the newest version (Nero 9). Did the updates. $57 later, still no camera

10. Hughv

Hughv

11. jsings42

jsings42 Thread Starter

Yes, I am following instructions. I just connected to another computer running Win2000 and Turtle beach software that came with Soundblaster live card. It didn't make sound or give me a popup indicating a new device but it did work for capture purposes. Therefore, I know the camera and the cable are fine.

12. Hughv

Hughv

What OS? Look for any appropriate updates.
    There's only two choices here: You're doing something wrong, or the camera is defective, and I think you're proved the camera is OK.
    Start over as though you know nothing and follow the instructions literally and fully.

13. jsings42

jsings42 Thread Starter

Running Windows XP, With all latest updates. I can do everything but capture. third choice: Problem in OS, because whatever I'm doing wrong, Im doing same on the other computer running 2000 and getting positive results. Fourth choice: even though computer recognizes presence of the card maybe the jacks on the card, or the card itself is bad.

14. Hughv

Hughv

It's not an OS problem.
    Are you using Nero Vision Express?
    Did you download and read/follow the Help file?
    If you've already captured this file to your other machine, just copy it.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice