1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can a computer get interference?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Customgraffiti, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Customgraffiti

Customgraffiti Thread Starter

I have recently installed a new hard drive on a gateway mini tower, that I bought from the manufacturer. I set up windows 98SE and installed all of the applications and drivers needed for the system to be fully functional. I used my system restoration discs and some things that I backed up from my old hard drive. Here is the catch, the sound works fine at times and then most of the time it sounds like there is static ya know popping and pinging and stuf like that. I don't know what to do about this but here is what I have done so far.
    1) I have gone in and reinstalled the Crystal WDM Audio codec.
    2) I have checked under system devices and there is no conflicts or any question marks or exclamation points on any of my devices.
    3) I have updated all the drivers I could think that had to do with sound (from the restoration discs)
    4) I have reinstalled all of my media playing software (Morpheus, Music Match, Windows media player 7.1) and the problem was there before all of this.
    5) The volume controll is ok and it is all fully functional

It seems as if there is some sort of interference it just comes and goes as it pleases. At first it bugged me to death but after a while it is like listening to the radio if its a song you like you listen.

By the way it has this affect on all media and sounds and sound effects on the pc DVD, CD, Audio files and even theme sounds. I am wondering if this is the systems fault or if there is really some sort of interference? Oh and I know for sure it is not the speakers cuz I tryed out three pairs on them including the ones that came with the system. I would really like some help with this issue I seem to be totally out of ideas, any help is apprecaited and of course thank you for your time.

2. brianF

brianF

Maybe it's a performance problem.
    Did you enable dma on the new harddrive.

To check go to start/settins/control panel/system/device manager/hard disks/select the drive, select properties, is the dma box checked, if not, check it and reboot.

3. angel

angel

Maybe a loose wire or prob in the actual speakers. Do you have another set you can try?

4. Customgraffiti

Customgraffiti Thread Starter

Brian,
    Well you were right about the dma I activated it and the problem dissapeared! Thanks man.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice