1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can a computer NIC causes switch ports to fail???

Discussion in 'Networking' started by StudMuffin, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StudMuffin

StudMuffin Thread Starter

Is it at all possible a computers nic can cause a port on a switch to fail?

Yesterday we had a problem where a computer all of the sudden couldn't connect to the internet (no hardware changes were made or any other changes, static ip on the nic). We moved the computer from one port on the switch to another and it worked fine. This morning the same thing happened and moving it to another port on the switch resolved it. Is it at all possible the nic on this computer is having some impact on the ports it's connected to on the switch? I can't see how but someone thought replacing the nic on the computer would be a solution.

2. genshi800

genshi800

Theres a lot of meat in this question and your not giving a lot of information to decifer it.

Go back to basics. When you're not able to connect to the internet, are you able to ping something internally? Can you ping your gateway on this "failed" port? Can any data whatsover traverse the port after its "failed".

Because you said internet, you're now throwing in a bunch of components that could be the culprit and not the NIC or port. Ex. dhcp leases, domain authentication, routing table, trust or untrusted interface and firewall policies.

3. StudMuffin

yes I apologize I realize I left it vague. i guess i was just looking for a quick reply to see if it made any sense that a computers nic could possibly cause a switch to all of the sudden fail to transport any of its data.

when the computer can't get to the internet, it can not ping the default gateway either, so it's not even getting out to it's router and does not appear on it's arp table.

but again, i'm just curious if it made sense to anybody that a nic on a computer could be the reason it can't get to it's default gateway. like i said, as soon as we plugged it into a different port on the switch, it could communicate with the gateway, and then that failed again, so we plugged it onto another port on the switch, and it worked.

perhaps i should have posted this in hardware?

4. genshi800

genshi800

Its always a possibility its the NIC. I've seen stranger things happen.
    But then again it could be a virus thats monitoring netstat and closing connections. Just takes it a minute to rebind after you unplug and replug up.

Safe to assume that if you got tx and rx lights on the nic, and tx and rx lights on the switch, you should have a working physical system. In a perfect world.

5. StudMuffin

yea, there are always those instances where it's just something weird going on.

getting tx and rx lights on both ends.

the system itself needs completely wiped anyway and supposedly has had it's share of viruses in the past so I wouldn't put it past the user that he got another and symantec just hasn't picked it up.

thanks for your help genshi

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There are 4 to 8 wires connecting the NIC to the port at the other end of the cable. While rare there certainly is the possibility that a defective NIC or improper grounding on the computer or some other electrical problem could damage to the remote port.

Have you tried using a known working computer on the damaged ports to verify that they really are now unusable, as opposed to one of the other possible issues genshi800 raised?

7. geek117

geek117

TerryNet's advice should have been posted first. Well, maybe second. To add a little to what he said though, what type of switch are we talking about? Is this an 8-port desktop switch (Linksys/Netgear)? Is it a 24-port rackmount? Is this a Cisco device? Perhaps the quality of the switch itself could be in question. I've had a fairly new Netgear FS726 drop ports like flies, just because the switch's hardware began to fail. Is the switch in a pile of dust in the corner, or does it have adequate cooling? Have you tried running the affected systems on new cables on the offending ports? There's plenty of things you can do to narrow the problem down.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice