Can a damaged laptop be Repaired or rebuild?

mike44

Can a damaged laptop be Repaired or rebuild because I had sent my laptop off to HP, so they can fix my keyboard because two keys had fallen off? The frame needed to be repaired because every time you open the computer up, it's makes popping sounds, and when I had to give it to FedEx to deliver it to them, and HP called me up and said they can't repair because my laptop is entirely damaged the screen is cracked. The covers are broken and cracked. Look at the Pictures below it I have a
OMEN by HP - 15-dc0096nr

1 - kR3KxAR.jpg2 - 27niDKE.jpg3 - QJrIw2A.jpg4 - GYlGQ1A.jpg5 - wMhsfxv.jpg6 - jrXPFRy.jpg7 - 3JJr5ON.jpg8 - Ku54Mkg.jpg

Wow, from the looks of things it would cost quite a bit more to try and fix it than it would be to replace it.

crjdriver

I have a saying "With unlimited money, anything can be fixed" The problem here is that it would cost WAY more to fix this than it would to just purchase a new laptop.

Couriant

James
This machine I would guess is 2 years old.. so you have a 3 year warranty? (for reference, this is his computer)

If that damage to the port/case or the screen wasn't there before FedEx picked it up, then you need to make a claim against FedEx.

If you told HP that the machine didn't have any other damage but this is how you had it prior to sending it out, then that's something no-one will fix unless you have accidental damage warranty. Dell always asks me for on any warranty repair (on site tech or sent to Dell) if there is any physical damage other than what is being asked for repair.

Screen replacement may be about $80 as high as $250
Keyboard ... maybe $40
The case I don't think you can get anywhere
Motherboard if the ports are damaged .. maybe $500

You are probably going to spend about half the cost of what this machine is reportedly been sold for ($1,199?) so really I wouldn't go too much into it if this machine was sent out like this before FedEx picked it up. (and of course you packaged it tight)

Last edited:

mike44

This machine I would guess is 2 years old.. so you have a 3 year warranty? (for reference, this is his computer)

If that damage to the port/case or the screen wasn't there before FedEx picked it up, then you need to make a claim against FedEx.

If you told HP that the machine didn't have any other damage but this is how you had it prior to sending it out, then that's something no-one will fix unless you have accidental damage warranty. Dell always asks me for on any warranty repair (on site tech or sent to Dell) if there is any physical damage other than what is being asked for repair.

Screen replacement may be about $80 as high as $250
Keyboard ... maybe $40
The case I don't think you can get anywhere
Motherboard if the ports are damaged .. maybe $500

You are probably going to spend about half the cost of what this machine is reportedly been sold for ($1,199?) so really I wouldn't go too much into it if this machine was sent out like this before FedEx picked it up. (and of course you packaged it tight)
When I had sent it out they keyboard was already damanged and the frame was too and that was it.

crjdriver

If the drive is still working, you do not have to send it to a data shop. Just connect it to a working system and copy whatever you want. If the drive is not operational, then yes you can send it to a data shop.
Get an estimate if you send the drive to a data shop; this is NOT cheap. Where I live a basic data recovery using just software runs $200 or so plus the cost of whatever media on which you want the data copied [you cannot recover to the same drive you are scanning]
The price goes way up from there.

mike44

If the drive is still working, you do not have to send it to a data shop. Just connect it to a working system and copy whatever you want. If the drive is not operational, then yes you can send it to a data shop.
Get an estimate if you send the drive to a data shop; this is NOT cheap. Where I live a basic data recovery using just software runs $200 or so plus the cost of whatever media on which you want the data copied [you cannot recover to the same drive you are scanning]
The price goes way up from there.
Ok thanks.

mike44

What should I do with the old damaged laptop because I got a new one yesterday? Should I use a website that takes the broken laptop and offer your money for them?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
mike44:
You have THIS HP OMEN 15-dc0096nr Notebook PC
James linked to it in post #4.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

-------------------------------------------------

I rather doubt any laptop warranty would cover one that appears to have been used as a frisbee.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I rather doubt any laptop warranty would cover one that appears to have been used as a frisbee.
I agree 100% with you.
That laptop appears to have gone through a lot of abuse before it was shipped to HP.

-------------------------------------------------

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online