1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can a motherboard problem cause a new hard drive to fail?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mlmorris, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mlmorris

mlmorris Thread Starter

I am trying to help someone with a Toshiba Satellite L655-S5150 laptop computer, with Win 7.

Recently the hard drive failed, and a new hard drive (Fujitsu) was installed (not by me). Then just a few weeks ago, the hard drive failed again - after only a few hours of operation. I verified this by removing the drive and connecting it to a Dock. The drive is not recognized (I tried connecting the dock to 2 different computers). I can hear some clicking noises coming from the drive, but I cannot access the drive.

As a check, I connected a known good drive to the dock and everything works.

The owner of the computer was told (again, not by me) that the problem is that there is a motherboard problem causing the hard drives to fail.

Does anyone know of any motherboard problem that can cause a NEW hard drive to fail?

I searched this forum, and I tried several different search engine searches, but without success.

2. dai

dai

hard drives can fail from first boot,they have the highest fail rate of any component due to the amount sold

rma it

3. mlmorris

mlmorris Thread Starter

"hard drives can fail from first boot . . . ."

Yes, I know. But that doesn't answer my question.

4. dai

dai

i have never run into a failed drive caused by the m/b

i know i have found win 8 does not like wd green drives

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, just about anything is possible however I would suspect a failing pw supply long before a failing mb [causing drives to fail] Since it is a laptop and everything is integrated, it may be that the tech told you that simply because it is an easier explanation than a failing pw supply.

As stated above, hd fail; that is the nature of the beast. RMA the drive and if it happens again, then you know that the laptop is failing and needs to be replaced.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1109142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice