1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can a NAS be made to appear appear as an ITunes library

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Ridcully, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ridcully

Ridcully Thread Starter

I have all my music on a Netgear NAS. I would like the computers that play this mussic to essentially work in the same way as ipods. ie the music is replicated on to the pc but the metadata info is fundamentally controlled on the NAS. Playlists recognise that the music is replicated locally.

I have tried the Itunes home server option but it doesn't recognise the NAS as a library.

Is this possible?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Has the NAS got a Media Server on it ?
    Otherwise you could import into itunes and leave the file on the server, make sure you map to a drive letter like X, Y or Z and always map the drive when the PC starts

http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/ maybe worth a look

3. Ridcully

Ridcully Thread Starter

The NAS manula mentions

iTunes Streaming Server
    enables iTunes clients to stream media files straight from the
    ReadyNAS NVX Business Edition. After enabling the iTunes Streaming Server, click link to​
    access the Firefly media server configuration options.

Don't really understand what this means to be honest

I have imported the tunes but that means I can't access them when the computers are not attahced to the nas.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    its probably got the firefly mediaserver software in the firmware....whats the exact model, perhaps i could look at the manual online
    my router has got twonky server builtin - so i can see my attached harddrive as a media server to any PC on my network

5. Ridcully

Ridcully Thread Starter

Netgear readynas NVX

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Page 2.12 of the online manual - talks about Itunes and UPnP ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/ReadyNAS/usermanual.pdf
    But mentions business addition - do you have this
    Firefly the Ipaddress link will be on the NAS if installed as part of the setup
    Configuration will enable you to point to a Directory on the NAS to use as your Media directory

So can you get to the configuration of the NAS server to see the itunes options

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!