1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can a PoE injector fry a laptop network card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by toontech, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toontech

toontech Thread Starter

A colleague plugged a network cable that was powering a cisco conference phone into a laptop and got no network. Obviously the laptop was working fine before that. Did the PoE injector fry the network card?
    Is there any other possibility?

Will i have to change the system board? Or is there usually a way of changing the nic only?

I plugged the laptop into a docking station but still get no network.

Cheers

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You should be able to fit a new wireless card but I can't say if it will work or not, depends on what damage was done.

You should be able to use a Usb wireless dongle. Alternatively a PCMCIA/Express wireless card depending on the laptop.

What laptop is it ? Apart from the wireless is everything else working ok ?

3. toontech

toontech Thread Starter

Sorry if i wasnt clear, it's the ethernet that isn't working, wireless is still working. So the poe injector was plugged into the wired network port ever since i havent been able to vet a hard wired connection. Either directly to the port or via docking station

4. Simba7

Simba7

Ouch.. 48v directly into a network jack?

Yep. I definitely think you fried the heck out of it. Surprised you didn't smoke the whole laptop. If the laptop is still working, you could find a USB 2.0 network adapter and use that.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    No need to say sorry it was me that got it wrong. I've been dealing with a lot of wireless stuff lately and got mixed up.

I agree with Simba7 that you're lucky it still works at all and that a Usb to ethernet adapter is one possible solution, there are PCMCIA ethernet adapters too if the laptop has the right socket for one.

You didn't say what laptop it is.

6. toontech

toontech Thread Starter

It's a hp 8530p, i'd need the laptop to work in a docking station as well. Would a pcmcia card provide that ability?

7. Simba7

Simba7

That particular laptop doesn't have a PCMCIA/CardBus slot. It has an Express Card/54 slot.

You'll have to find an Express Card/54 network card. There is an abundance of them on eBay. If not, you can always go with USB.

EDIT: Why it fried is due to the port being Gigabit. Usually GbE ports use all 8 wires. Unfortunately, when you shove 48v through something designed to take much, much less.. it tends to fry it as this person found out. http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48934

Did it smell strange when your colleague plugged the cable in?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Only a new motherboard, or laptop, will allow you to use it with a dock.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice