1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can a router mess up a network?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Trboy13, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trboy13

Trboy13 Thread Starter

heres the scenario.

I'm on a college campus and our network uses dhcp. I have a router (dlink 614+), and it is set up to be its own dhcp server. I plug the connection from the room into my routers wan port. and i plug my computer into one of the other ports on the router. It gives me my own address (192.168.0.2). Now, my question is, will this mess up any other computers on the main network, this being, that my router will try giving them the dhcp address instead of the main server on campus????????

According to some tech guy i just talked to it was messing up the connections of the other computers in my building. I dont know alot about networking but i was under the assumption that the router would only try to assign ip's to the computers plugged into the normal ports on the router and not to anything through the wan port.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Yes, I have a friend who is the Network guy for the U here and someone had messed up their system doing the same thing. :eek:

3. shenrick

shenrick

I'm not sure if it would or not, but if you want to be safe, you can turn off the DHCP option on your router. This way, it should pull up the IP addy of your school's network DHCP server. To turn it off under your router (I use the same one), log onto your router, then go to Home ---> DHCP. At the top where it says "DHCP Server.....Enable, Disable", choose "Disable", and hit apply. Hope this helps, and that it answers any questions. But if not, or if you just want more advice/help with your 614 +, PM me with any questions and I'll answer them as best I can. Good Luck!

4. Trboy13

Trboy13 Thread Starter

i'm not using it anymore, its against university policy to use routers/switches/hubs, or any other similar device. and I can see how it would screw things up if it was plugged into the normal port things, but could it mess up the network if it was in the wan port.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, if you plug the campus network into the LAN port, it would possibly screw things up. OTOH, if you used it like a real router and plugged the campus network into the WAN port, I can't see how it would have any impact. You mention using the WAN port, this is NOT trying to assign any DHCP addresses, and I seriously doubt it affects their network at all.

Of course, I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to accomplish either...

6. Trboy13

Trboy13 Thread Starter

well, they turned off the ports in my room and i had to go to the disciplinary office and get disciplined. They gave me a written warning and said that my router was causing other students in my building to not be able to access the internet. I said ok and went on my way, but it sounded like bs to me that i was messing them up. so i was just curious if it was possible. I had to agree not to use it again, so no more router for me. Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.

7. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

I talked to my friend tonight. He said the DHCP was the problem.
    He said he would look at thin and try to respond tomorrow.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, the WAN port is a DHCP client, just as your computer would be. In order for the DHCP broadcasts to screw things up, you'd have to plug into one of the LAN ports on the router with DHCP enabled.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice