1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can a SATA hard drive short the power?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LD1305, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LD1305

LD1305 Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently aquired a new molex-sata adapter for adding a second HDD to my computer, but when I plugged it in and turned the PC on, it won't power up. Without either hard drive plugged into the power supply, the PC will start but obviously go no further, but with either hard drive plugged in the computer simply won't start.

I've tried with three molex-sata adapters now and none of them will make it work, so I was wondering if it is likely that the new adapter has ruined my hard drive? If not then any tips for fixing it?

Thanks very much :)

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Yes its possible, I've seen it before. The first adapter may have cause a short or something that damaged the drive, or the drive may have been faulty before you attempted to use it. Check circuit board ont eh drive for burn marks, cracked chips, or for a burnt smell.

There's also a chance that if the PSU was already being taxed heavily for power draw, that the new drive pushes it over its limit of what it can supply and thats why its not turning on.

4. LD1305

LD1305 Thread Starter

Even when I return the computer to it's original state (that it had worked fine in 5 minutes previous) the computer won't work, and I have a 500W PSU and am not running any kind of graphics card so not much is being drawn.

It turns out that neither drive that I am using will work now anyway, which is a shame

Being that I have only had both drives three months (in different machines originally) I may be able to see if they are covered by the warranty, but thanks for your help, Triple6

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Woah, wait.

So the computer does not turn on with any drive connected?

Or it no longer turns on even if you have the original drive connected either?

And when you say won't power up, do you mean it won't boot or there's zero signs of power?

6. LD1305

LD1305 Thread Starter

It works with the DVD drive connected fine, but not with the original or second drive.

It kind of flickers life and then dies: the power light brifly comes on and the CPU fan spins for half a second and then off, without any drive the computer switches on fine, I can access the BIOS etc, so I assume it isn't the motherboard?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

No, the motherboard should be fine in that case.

How does the original hard drive connect to the power supply? Straight molex connector or an adapter as well?
    Have you tried using a different molex connector from a completely different power cable? Such as the one that the DVD drive connects too?

8. LD1305

LD1305 Thread Starter

Both connect with a molex adapter, though I was planning on updating my PSU soon anyway as I've had it a very long time, and yes, I've tried three different adapters on three different cables from the PSU, and none of the nine combinations worked, which is why I figured it could be the hard drive :/

9. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Something has killed the drives, unless they work in another computer, and you need to find that cause or you may kill another drive.

10. LD1305

LD1305 Thread Starter

I was going to try one or both of them in another PC, but can't at the moment.

I think it might be the new adapter that killed it, as they both worked fine on the adapters I was using before...

11. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

12. LD1305

LD1305 Thread Starter

The first one seems about right :)

13. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Ok, so maybe some of the pins are loose in the adapter and caused a spark or short.

14. LD1305

LD1305 Thread Starter

Possibly, I'm not at home at the moment so I'll go back and check it and the drive for burns etc tomorrow, I've read elsewhere that it CAN just be the adapter bit, but I'll check it all anyway.

Could a fault with the adapter ruin the hard drive completely or do you think it could be salvageable?

15. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Well if a single pin on the power connector on the adapter has come loose, its possible it could have happened on all three. In that case the drives may be OK. But if two of the pins on the adapter touched and sent power down the ground wire then the drives are likely toast.

16. LD1305

LD1305 Thread Starter

Okay, well I'll check as soon as I can, but just to check again (I know I'm checking a lot but I just want to make sure :p ) even if the drives are toast the motherboard and CPU etc should be fine? considering it'll run the bios etc?, also would the PSU still be okay, again, because it ran the BIOS alright without drives plugged in?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1035753