1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can a video card damage a monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ikarihiokami, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ikarihiokami

ikarihiokami Thread Starter

Let me give you the scenario. I have a SAPPHIRE 100260SR Radeon HD 4850 X2 1GB 512-bit (2 x 256-bit) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card. The card has 4 dvi ports so I can have 4 monitors attached to it. 2 of my monitors are digital with dvi cables, one is a wacom tablet that uses a dvi cable, but one was an only flat panel analog monitor that used a vga cable with a dvi adapter.

Just recently the display started to go out on my old analog monitor. I thought to myself "well it's old so I'm not surprised". THe computer still saw it and if I turned it off and turned it back on the display would show for a few seconds. Well I wanted to be sure it was just the monitor and not the video card port, so I hooked up the monitor over on another computer and sure enough it wasn't working. Then hooked up the other computers monitor (another analog monitor with a vga cable BTW) and the port still worked.

Well the next day the other monitor started to flicker to the point where you couldn't see what you were doing. It has since stopped, but what I'm wanting to know is is it possible that my video card killed my old monitor and damaged the other one I hooked up to it? Or is it a coincidence that the other monitor started to act funny? I don't want to hook another monitor up to it if it's just going to kill another monitor.

On a side note I did switch around my monitors to that port to see if it would work and none of my other monitors have shown signs of having problems. I switched them around several times and only once did a display not show, but I think it was because I was screwing around too much and my computer's display setting were getting ticked at my (so to speak). By the time I was done screwing around I had to re do how I wanted my monitors laid out. Now that I have my setting back to normal and I hook another monitor up, the monitor works fine. I just don't want to hook another monitor up to it only for it to die.

2. ikarihiokami

ikarihiokami Thread Starter

No one has an Idea?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice