1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can a Win Xp installed as a "D" drive be operated as a "C" drive?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by saikee, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saikee

saikee Thread Starter

I have a Xp Home installed in a logical partition. It was booted originally by a Dos primary partition operated as the "C" drive.

What I have done is to move the Xp around in the logical partitions in the same disk or to another disk. It can be assigned to a different drive letter if it is not operating. However if I boot this Xp it will seize the drive "D" back again no matter where it is or how many other partitions between itself and the boot volume.

I finally moved it to a primary partition and nuked all the other partitions it could recognize. The boot loader has been re-configured to run Xp as the sole operating system. It now operates happily as a "D" drive without a "C" in the system.

Just wonder can the Drive letter be changed after installation or is there a lot of work involved. Not particularly bother with it as my prime objective is to see if I could move the M$ Windows between partitions and disks within the same computer. So far everything works except this stuborn drive letter business.

2. bbearren

bbearren

Lots of work in the registry...

3. saikee

saikee Thread Starter

bbearren,

Thanks. Save me from wasting time on it.

M$ seems to have changed this feature in Vista/Win7. A Vista or Win7 appears only boots to "C" only but the OSes can be placed anywhere.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/826121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice