1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can a Word doc be saved/become a JPG?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by help-in-MA, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. help-in-MA

help-in-MA Thread Starter

Hello -- hopefully someone can assist me in this request:

I am using Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 to put together a slide show (end result will be a Video CD). I have photos but also wanted to include some documents to tell a "story". I have written the text pages in Word but now realize that I cannot include them in the slide show.

Is there a way to make/save/create these text docs into a jpg to include as a slide?

Many thanks for your help.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    If you are using a recent version of MS-Word (I am using Word 2003 for reference) and the word document is black and white, you can use "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer" to make a monochrome TIFF file that you should then be able to open in Photoshop ...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-US/assistance/HP010278581033.aspx

If the Word Docs are color, would simple screen captures of the MS-word screens to the clipboard work? You coud then paste into new blank Photoshop files and crop down to just the text page itself.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

You can also print the Word.doc to a pdf file using something like the freeware Cutepdf ... http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Then open the pdf in photoshop which will convert the vector graphics of the pdf file ... to the raster graphics for photoshop ...
    for editing and saving to a jpeg or gif Image file ... (I'd use gif to keep the file size smaller and the image cleaner)

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

You can also COPY the text from the Word.doc … and PASTE it into the Photoshop type tool.

If I understand your application … Rather than using Word …
    I’d make a new image (or Layer) in Photoshop and make the information page ... Using the Type tool.
    This way, you can add color or pictures and fancy it up a bit.

Maybe Something like this quick example ???

Attached Files:

5. desertdragon

desertdragon

Open your word document then use Prt Sc in your keyboard, open mspaint then edit>paste, then save. If you want to edit the image, you can use your favorite graphic imge editor.

6. help-in-MA

Thanks everyone for your help. Copying and saving in MS Paint did not give me the clear text I need. What Noyb suggested is close to what I ultimately need, but when I open and use the Editor in Photoshop, create a layer using the text tool and save as a JPG, even at the maximum setting, I still have "choppy" text and not smooth lines, which looks terrible.

Noyb's sample thumbnails is the quality I'm looking for - but if it enlarges to full screen, will it lose its clean appearance?

Ideally, I would be able to have a text and a photo combined in one slide, but owing to time, even a text slide followed by a photo would be great right now.

Noyb, can you help explain how you created the text slide please?

Thanks everyone!

7. desertdragon

desertdragon

The save BMP image from mspaint can be manipulated and make it clear upon image editing in graphics editor like Photoshop. It can be done by opening the BMP image in Photoshop, go to image>adjustments>auto levels, auto contrast, auto color etc, it depends upon your level of knowledge in Photoshop.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

This’s a tough request (using Words) … Not knowing how familiar you are with Photoshop .. but here goes …
    I’m assuming you’re a little familiar working with Layers.

To Start with .. I’ll suggest …
    Create a new, blank, Photoshop Image … size it for 1024x768.
    Create a new Fill layer .. the background Color of your choice.

To Create a fill layer … click on …
    Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color > (name) Ok …. Choose Your background Color.

Paste in the text from your Word.doc… after you choose the Type Tool.
    Edit the Text format as you wish… color, size .. etc …
    Save your Original PSE (working) file in it’s psd format so you can edit the text later…If needed.
    Save the Text Image as a gif format for your Slide Show.
    Use you original Pictures for the picture parts of your slide Show.

Each time you edit a jpeg - and re-save it as a jpeg .. you loose part of the Image.
    This is like passing on a Rumor … Too many versions changes the story.
    Use the Original when ever possible … I’m assuming they’re in a jpeg format.

Questions …
    What Overall pixel size and format are your Original pictures ?????
    Is this Slide Show to be viewed on a Computer … or elsewhere ???
    Do you have .. or have you heard of Irfanview … http://www.irfanview.com/ ???

You should see something like this when working in PSE …

Attached Files:

• CC.gif
      CC.gif
      File size:
      112 KB
      Views:
  9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I didn’t think this would fit here … but it zipps pretty good.

Here a Basic 1024x768 Photoshop psd file ..
    with a background Color and a Text layer ready to add your text.

Open the attachment .. save the Sample.psd file … then open it in PSE
    Hope this helps a little.

10. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

To smooth out the edges you can antialias it abit before rhasterizing.

11. help-in-MA

Noyb,

Many thanks - I was able to "duplicate" your efforts in creating a text slide.

The slide show is to be viewed on a TV screen at an upcoming event, and the photos I am using are small jpg files (~20-100 KB). I was able to add some text captions to a few of the photos, although once viewed on a TV screen (27") they were "cut-off". Since you've been such great help, do you know how to "fix" that as well?

Would the irfanview program (not on my PC) that you mentioned help resolve this?

Many, many thanks for your help!

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Until Noyb replies, you may want to read this article on adapting computer graphics for display on a typical TV screen:

http://www.interactivetvweb.org/tutorial/dtv-intro/tv-ui-design.shtml

You are seeing the effects of overscan where the TV is making your slide larger than the viewing area of the screen. This cuts off the edges of the slide.

For NTSC TV systems (what is used in the USA), if your slide has a resolution of 640 x 480 pixels, you should try to keep everything that must be visible in a about a 576 x 432 pixel area (90% of width and height) centered on the screen. Since some TV sets may be a bit out of focus around the edges, you should try to keep text in a 512 x 384 pixel area centered on the screen.

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Thanks Chuck … That explained it Much better and faster than I could have.

I don’t do much in the way of getting pictures out of my computer ... (e.g…to a TV)
    and would have thought the CD/DVD player would have done the necessary resizing/downsizing … (most of it)

Help-in-MA …
    Since you were able to do what I suggested, I’m thinking you’d better upgrade you experience level beyond Beginner.
    Working in Adobe isn’t easy… or for timid beginners ... So Far, I’m Impressed.

NO .. Irfanview wont fix this … But it makes a very good replacement for Windows Image n Fax viewer and is much faster than using PSE for your everyday Image Viewing and basic Image Editing chores.
    It can make slide shows, do batch processing, and a whole lot more … but it doesn’t do Text very well.
    You might want to play with it after you get this project done.
    I hope you’re not using PSE for your Image Organizing and Viewing … I use Irfanview for this.

Were the pictures that were Cropped on the TV … The ones where you added the text to the picture(s) ???
    Did you change the “Canvas Size” to add the text ??? ... This will change the 4:3 “Canvas” Aspect Ratio.
    Any particular edge where the Cropping is occurring ???

You may have to adjust your procedures based on what you are seeing … Since I (We) can’t See it.

To give you some Ideas …
    Here’s an example of added text using a portrait sized picture .. from my genealogy files.
    The picture was added to a 4:3 sized Canvas, leaving about a 10% boundary ... Then the text was added.

Attached Files:

• Shop.jpg
      Shop.jpg
      File size:
      110.4 KB
      Views:
  14. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The attached test pattern may give you some idea of the amount of overscan you have in your particular TV set. The center light gray box is 50% of the width and height of the overall image size. The other larger light gray boxes represent 10% increments of the overall width and height. The darker gray boxes represent 5% steps in between the 10% steps.

You should be able to see the yellow "Safearea" box on all properly adjusted CRT type TV sets. I have not looked that close at LCD TVs but I suspect that they may show the complete pattern without any overscan loss of pixels.

I threw in some 1x1 and 2x2 pixel checkerboards in the corners of the 50% box. They should give you a good idea of the resolution and focus quality of a TV.

The test pattern may also work as a temporary background when laying out your slides. Anything that needs to be seen should be within the yellow box and anything with fine details should be within the cyan box.

Attached Files:

15. help-in-MA

Special thanks to both Chuck and Noyb. A terrific explanation which most likely explains the problem. And Noyb, thank you for the compliment.

Noyb, what you attached is almost EXACTLY what I am trying to accomplish. A series of photos telling a story, a majority having a photo and text alongside (or below). Chuck's explanation of the TV screen and the test pattern is fantastic.

So of course, I have a small query...in PSE, in the editor mode, once I open a blank document, specifying it to be 640 x 480 (ironically PSE lists a "NTSC D1 Square Pix, 720 x 540), how do you "bring in or import a photo" to add text? I've tried to locate how, and even opened a photo to "edit" but no luck, even working with layers.

Thank you again for your immense help and patience!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!