1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can access other PC's on ntwk but not the Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AntnyMI, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AntnyMI

AntnyMI Thread Starter

I just installed XP on a PC and everything seems to be working fine except accessing the Internet. I disabled XP's IFC and set up the home ntwk. I can see and share files btwn all other PCs on the ntwk, and I can also ping internet sites via the Run command. However, IE cannot seem to access any sites and Windows Updates gets stuck looking for a connection.

PLEASE HELP! I am completely stumped!!! :confused:

2. angel

angel

So you can ping sites on the internet - is this with hostname or ip address? If hostname, then your DNS is fine and it's probably just an IE config prob.
    What are all of your settings in IE under Tools>Internet Options, connections tab?

Also, if you use Outlook or OE, does it work?

3. AntnyMI

AntnyMI Thread Starter

Got it going.
    FYI, Proxy Server was checked
    (Control Panel/Internet Options/Connection tab/LAN Settings button)

Thanks for the assist.

4. angel

angel

Thanks for letting us know!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice