Can an ADSL Wireless Modem Router work with NTT's ADSL service in Japan

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cliffg

Hi, my friend is in Japan, and he's signed up for NTT's ADSL service, They say he can 'rent' a modem, but he would need to get a router too if he wishes to use more computers. However he doesn't want a 'multi-box' solution, he wants it in 1 box (like in other countries), a combination ADSL Router/Modem with Wifi. However, he cannot buy them in a few computer stores he has visited. I am visiting him soon, and we're trying to understand if I bring over an ADSL router, if that would work.. I know about the power limitations, but that aside, can it work?

ps. Thinking of bringing something like the following models ( I will purchase once I know for sure )...
Netgear DG834GT 108Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem
Belkin ADSL Modem with Built-in 125g Wireless Router
Linksys by Cisco WAG54GS Wireless-G ADSL Modem Router

pps. I see a lot of modems listed on Amazon with ADSL2, I don't think they have ADSL2 in Japan (according to wikipedia), would ADSL2 modem work with ADSL.?

MANY MANY Thanks if anyone can answer this

My guess it that it would all depend on the ISP and how they have their network set up. They may have it to where you HAVE to use their modems to connect.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Why does he resist the "multi-box" solution? I like separate units, makes it easier to diagnose where problems are when they occur.

cliffg

Why does he resist the "multi-box" solution? I like separate units, makes it easier to diagnose where problems are when they occur.
Because of all the wires, using 2 sockets, more power, it's just messy..

I understand the reasons why some would prefer 1 box or 2 box solutions.
I know the broadband system they use in Japan is ADSL, and I know it's PPPoE, but i'm afraid i don't know much more..

Just wondered if anyone knew if it were technicially possible? If so, I can bring one over, and then contact linksys / d-link / whoever support once there.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
ADSL2 modem/routers should work on plain ADSL, all the one's I've seen are backward compatible.

I'd check with the manufacturer on international compatibility before buying one, because I know there are some variations in models. Also, the firmware is different for different countries, one difference is different wireless channels.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts