1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can an old battery cause 'puter to freeze?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by notdbritest, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. notdbritest

notdbritest Thread Starter

My daughter's Dell Insprion 1501, XP w/all updates. The battery has not been keeping a charge for a number of months--holds maybe a 1/2 hour, and that's it. It's no biggie--it's usually used plugged-in in the her bedroom, and if she brings it to the living room, she commandeers the charger for my laptop.

However--now IE7 is freezing up whenever it feels like it. Pulling the battery out and putting it back in (it's plugged in to AC when it's being used), unfreezes it and it goes on.
    In my mind, this shouldn't be happening--I can't get my mind around the connection between the battery and IE.

Hijack this did find RelevantKnowledge, and I've run Spybot, Superantispyware, and Combofix. A second scan after rebooting did not show RelevantKnowledge.

She is still having a problem with IE freezing, and pulling/reinserting the battery still unfreezes it.

Is this a simple matter if replacing the battery, or is there something else I need to be looking at?

Thank you for any help or guidance you can offer.

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

Clean the system out to make sure temps aren't building up in the IE. I'd recommend you go online to http://www.download.com/Advanced-WindowsCare-Personal/3000-2086_4-10407614.html and download the program and run it on the system. It's a free program and works better than any others I've used.
    Regarding pulling the battery out - All it sounds like you're saying is in pulling out the battery you shut down and restart the system and all is fine again. If you simply shut the system down with the on-off button I would imagine it would do exactly the same thing.
    If you know the battery is dying I would say just for the power needed to run a system off a battery that it's time to get a new one. (That however is yours' to determine.)
    Let us know what's happening...Jazz

3. notdbritest

notdbritest Thread Starter

Sorry Jazz, I didn't make that clear--pulling the battery out doesn't shut down the system, because she's on AC power at the time. But IE unfreezes and goes merrily on its way. That's what has me stumped. Since she's not utilizing the battery, I don't understand why pulling it and replacing it can have any effect on the system.

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

I'll take a guess at this. With the battery installed, as well as the use of the AC, I'd venture to say the AC, (i.e., power supply), is probably trying to juice up a bad battery as well as run the system and it's programs. In other words the power supply is overworked and ultimately freezes the system. The best way to determine whether it's the correct answer or not is to simply remove the battery and run off the AC. If the system works and doesn't freeze up, you know it's a bad battery. Jazz

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice