Solved Can an old VAIO Laptop be upgraded to Windows 10

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sue4635

Hello,

I got an offer from a "computer guy in the neighborhood" to sell me a Sony VAIO PCG-9111L laptop with a 500 GB SSD and 8GB RAM. The processor is an Intel i3 with clock speed of 2.27 GHZ. When I researched it online, I found that Sony will not provide Windows 10 support for it because it was manufactured before 2011. This leads me to believe that the processor is the very first version of the i3 so I am a bit concerned about it.

What is your opinion as to whether I can get acceptable performance of Windows 10 with this laptop? I don't do gaming or any resource-intensive computing. I should add that I have used this computer guy in the past and have been very satisfied with his work/advice. He wants to charge me about $260.

Thank you.
Sue

Last edited:

blues_harp28

I found that Sony will not provide Windows 10 support for it because it was manufactured before 2011.
Your own research is telling you the answer to your question. It would be a waste of money to buy this pc and it's best to look for something that is newer and can run Windows 10.

Ask the tech guy for the model # of the i3. Then a google search will tell you when it was manufactured.

I think he probably upgraded the RAM and installed the 500 GB SSD himself. 500 GB SSD's weren't widely available back in 2011.

I was able to run Windows 10 on a Core 2 Duo, which is circa 2010. Performance is acceptable for surfing and MS Office. But I have since donated the machine away. If you aren't concerned about having the latest CPU features like for example VT-x and VT-d which is used for running virtual machines, then drive down the price to maybe $120.

Last edited:

sue4635

I decided not to buy this laptop. I think it would be better for me to spend more money and get a better one. The responses I received are much appreciated.
Sue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!