Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can an old VAIO Laptop be upgraded to Windows 10

Solved 
547 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sue4635 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I got an offer from a "computer guy in the neighborhood" to sell me a Sony VAIO PCG-9111L laptop with a 500 GB SSD and 8GB RAM. The processor is an Intel i3 with clock speed of 2.27 GHZ. When I researched it online, I found that Sony will not provide Windows 10 support for it because it was manufactured before 2011. This leads me to believe that the processor is the very first version of the i3 so I am a bit concerned about it.

What is your opinion as to whether I can get acceptable performance of Windows 10 with this laptop? I don't do gaming or any resource-intensive computing. I should add that I have used this computer guy in the past and have been very satisfied with his work/advice. He wants to charge me about $260.

Thank you.
Sue

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ask the tech guy for the model # of the i3. Then a google search will tell you when it was manufactured.

I think he probably upgraded the RAM and installed the 500 GB SSD himself. 500 GB SSD's weren't widely available back in 2011.

I was able to run Windows 10 on a Core 2 Duo, which is circa 2010. Performance is acceptable for surfing and MS Office. But I have since donated the machine away. If you aren't concerned about having the latest CPU features like for example VT-x and VT-d which is used for running virtual machines, then drive down the price to maybe $120.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.