1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can an optical mouse wear out?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johnni, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnni

johnni Thread Starter

I have a Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 1.0A USB optical mouse which is six years old. When I was using Win ME it started to freeze occasionally needing a restart. Now I am using XP and it freezes more often than before (it just did it while typing the above). Sometimes I just disconnect from the USB port and reconnect and sometimes I substitute a small USB optical Mikomi mouse (on the same USB port) which I normally use with my notebook. This mouse always works but is not so comfortable to use with the desktop because of its small size.
    The MS mouse will sometimes work for long periods and sometimes for only a few minutes but its frequent freezing is irritating. I don't see what can go wrong with it - I have checked the leads and cleaned the base and am using it on the same desk surface I have always done, so maybe it is on its way out.

Has anyone had this problem and solved it? I suppose a new one may be the only answer.

johnni

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

All components have a finite life. I just had to replace an optical mouse that was about 5 years old.

3. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Did you install any drivers for the mouse that came on a CD or such? If not, have you been using the Windows generic drivers ever since it was installed?

Nick.

4. xgerryx

xgerryx

Just a thought,
    Have a really good look at the lens for a piece of dust or whatever, it maybe something like that.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

After six years, the cable could be breaking at some point, usually right near one of the ends. I just tossed an old mouse with that issue. The thing also doesn't owe you anything, buy a new one. :D

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!