1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can an UNinstall file be reinstalled

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by driftwood2004ua, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driftwood2004ua

driftwood2004ua Thread Starter

:confused:When I uninstalled Norton AV 2months ago I used the uninstall onthe Norton program.My computer hasn,t been the same.Ican't download most updates because of version mismatch.most of my updates have been uninstalled.Windows codecs are missing.Target file language is different.Many cabs are gone.Can I reinstall $MSI31_kb893802v2$,$NTSERVICEPACKUNINSTALLIDNMitigationAPIs$,$NTSERVICEPACKUNINSTALLNLSDownlevelMapping$,NTUNINSTALLbasecsp.$There are many others.When I downloaded Powertoys Photo Imaging the WIC part went to the uninstall files,the rest on my program files.Icant open thePowertoys.Isthere a way someone can look at my mess over the net?Maybe see whats up?Iknow theres too many threads but how do I describe this on one?OUTCASTE CAN YOU FIGURE THIS PUZZLE?

2. kniht

kniht

Norton AV has a tendency to dig itself deep into your system. First remove all traces of Norton AV from your system. A lot of problems can be caused by Norton leftovers.

Heres a good article on the procedure: http://www.pcfixreview.com/blog/2007/10/11/norton-antivirus-uninstall/

As far as the $NTUninstalls go, if they are completely missing form your system, you can go to the Windows Update site to download and reinstall.

A good program for finding missing MS updates ($NTUninstalls--which are actually the uninstallers for the MS updates should one have trouble with one) is Secunia's PSI. It is a freeware program and can be downloaded here:

https://psi.secunia.com/

Be sure to read the download page about the psi.

Hopefully some of this will be of help to you.

3. driftwood2004ua

driftwood2004ua Thread Starter

Kniht;Most of the files are there under C:windows,I just don't know how to put them back.I think the computer is running on older updates.Many of the logs have version mismatch and other errors as reason for failure.My update history at windows says most of these were downloaded successfully. If I had my disks for XP sp2 I'd just clear things out and start over.Nothing real important on my piece of junk. Watch your pennies and the dollars will care for themselves.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!