1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can any hard drive work in different computers?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by orelan, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. orelan

orelan Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is where I should ask my question, but I really didn't know where else to put it. I'm working on my bachelors degree online and my computer is vital if I ever want to pass. I've been coming here for years and not once has anyone pointed me in the wrong diredtion.

I have a Windows Vista desktop computer which is a couple of years old. During the summer the hard drive just stopped working. Right now I'm using a HP Windows 7 laptop with a broken plasma screen which is hooked up to my desktop's monitor.

Now to get to the point, can any hard drive fit my Vista desktop? Like everyone in the country right now, I don't have the funds to buy a new computer. I've checked the prices of hard drives and compared to a whole computer the cost is within my reach. I just have no idea if they are interchangable in any way.

Thank-you for your help in advance.

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

You can use an external enclosure (USB/eSATA) to plug your 3.5" desktop drive into your laptop for the purpose of accessing files.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You can use the laptop hard drive in the desktop, but you will need an adapter for power and data; and also a mounting bracket to adapt a 2-1/2 inch drive to fit a 3-1/2 drive bay. Assuming the laptop and desktop are both SATA drives, the adapter would be like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ers+and+gender+changers-_-STARTECH-_-12200176

You will need to re-install Windows Vista on the desktop computer if you do this.

If you want to buy a hard drive for the desktop that is like the one in it now, you need to know if it is SATA (thin data cable) or PATA (wide ribbon cable). Then buy another one of the same type, usually 7200 RPM for a desktop, and can be the same or larger capacity.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Have you looked lately ... The cost of new (good) HDDs recently went outa sight due to the flood in Thailand.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice