1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can anyone answer this for me

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KC_AT, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KC_AT

KC_AT Thread Starter

I've got a PIII-633 128MB running XP home and the 40GB disk drive crashed. I took a 10GB HD running Win 2K out of another celeron 633Mhz that was running great and installed it in the PIII and when it booted I got "NTLDR missing" I exchanged the cable with the two computers and get the same message on the PIII. I pulled the secondary cable out of the MOBO which went to the CD-rom and still got the same "NTLDR" message. The BIOS sees the 10GB drive as the primary master and sees everything else correctly. I installed the HD back into the celeron and it boots up just fine which leads me to beleive that there is nothing wrong with the NTLDR files on the drive. I put the HD back into the PIII and booted to a win98 floppy and was able to see the directory of the HD but still get "NTLDR missing" when I try to boot to the HD. Can anyone shed some light on what might be happening. Thanks

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Read THIS
    Does this help? I'll bet it's the IDE ribbon. replace it and try your old drive again.

3. KC_AT

KC_AT Thread Starter

Emtronics, thanks for the reply, however, this article I printed off and tried the ribbon thing first because that was what I thought. I moved the ribbon from the celeron PC that had the working HD along with the HD but it still didn't work. I tried a couple other IDE ribbons, with the same results. Go figure. Any more thoughts on this?

4. norton850

norton850

You can't take a hard drive with XP or 2K on it and put it in another system. You can try doing a repair install of Win2K on the 10GB drive.

5. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

I was working on this computer that I built and when I booted it up I received the same message "NTLDR missing" having run into this situation before. I then
    went into the BIO's and set it to boot off the IDE-0 first CD second Floppy last.
    It booted right up and have had no problems, hope this solves your problem.

6. KC_AT

KC_AT Thread Starter

norton850, thanks for reply, but I thought it was only XP that you couldn't take out of one machine and put in another, didn't think it was so for w2k.

Dr Dave, thanks also, but uf what norton850 says is correct, then it doesn't matter about the bios trick, I will try putting a w98 hd in and see what I get.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice